Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Best carb dunk tank for cleaning all parts

Started by Evans Ward, March 24, 2019, 08:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evans Ward

I've used Gunk brand, Berryman's, and Yamahas brand in a gallon container submerging removed parts and jets. What have you found to work best? I know Chuck/ Supertune has a recommendation but I can'r remember it? Thanks.
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

AAAltered

I've been eyeballing an ultrasonic tank, they have really dropped in price...
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

Brad-Man

I use a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner.
Toys don't make the man - Man makes the toys.
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS

m in sc

75% gunk carb dip, 25% wd 40, l&r ultrasonic. 

Seizer

VEVOR Commercial Ultrasonic Cleaner 1.3L Ultrasonic Cleaner for Cleaning Eyeglasses Rings Large Capacity Heated Ultrasonic Cleaner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LAZGKRA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QehMCbZHPCAVQ

I run Simple Green or Purple Power in mine.

IR8D8R

Bransonic with BBQ lighter fluid.

I have used the Berryman Chem-Dip cresylic acid phenolic dunk that comes in a 5 gallon metal bucket. That stuff really works great but it stinks so bad that you'll never forget it's there. Not for home use for sure.

IR8D8R

m in sc

..if you use the wd it acts as a vapor barrier to an extent, but yeah, not for in house use. shop is ok. (imho), lighter fluid, ie, naptha?

Evans Ward

I ordered a 3L Rovsun stainless model off Amazon for $89.99 prime. Looked like a great deal with excellent capacity for the $. How long would you run it to clean a carb?
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750

m in sc

Evans Ward

1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750

IR8D8R

Mark,
Lighter fluid as in Kingsford. Generic petroleum distillate. I use grocery store charcoal lighter. Same as paint thinner. If you use deodorized lamp oil it smells better but costs more. Same setup I use on old mechanical 35mm cameras when I rebuild them. Nice clean clear solvent.

Naptha go BOOM!

IR8D8R

m in sc

naptha burns, doesnt go boom. (its zippo fluid after all) used to use it in our ultrasonic as a final rinse in the clock shop. 

I have still yet to find anything that works better than the carb dip/wd on carbs. actually brings the iridescence back to the zinc/aluminum alloy.  Except for vapor blasting , man, talk about new finish. holy cow.

SoCal250

I have a VEVOR ultrasonic but haven't used it much or tried different solutions.  After seeing Marks' photo I may have to try that! Wow
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

IR8D8R

You get the vapor concentration right it will. Ever built a zippo cannon?

There's a YouTube video of a guy that replates carbs for concourse restos to get the iridescence back. He uses cadmium dichromate. Apparently theres a cadmium wash used to put a hard surface on the metal in production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmn94B5UUuU

IR8D8R

m in sc

after 10+ years using naptha in an ultrasonic at work i can tell you 100% , its fine and safe.  I spent the better part of a decade restoring 100-200 year old mechanical clocks as a job, as said, i've pretty much tried everything there is.  for the timepeices, we sould use l&r solution, but it didnt work well on othe ritems that were more heavy duty, such as victrola parts, this is where the carb cleaner came from, and the wd leaves a nice finish to keep any steel parts from rusting and displaces any moisture int he pores of the metal. used to -piss off- my old boss when i would do carbs, so when i was 22 i got my own ultrasonic, and still have it.  8) we had 5 in the shop actually.

I have used starter fluid in a spud gun as well.  :whistle: :toot:

fwiw, those vm's were vapor blasted.

these were cleaned in an ultrasonic . however, i have some better pics somewhere showing the iridescence on a set of mikunis out of the same mix.