News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Diamond in the rough?

Started by bhh1989, March 01, 2021, 08:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhh1989

So I was puzzled about the look of these pistons, and after a parts number search they are as I suspected - Banshee.  1UA00 stamped inside so they are OEM Banshee pistons.

Without the tang removed, how well would this have run??

rodneya

Although it is recommended to remove the tang from banshee pistons, I have seen quite a few posts where they were run without being removed with no problems.
As long as the skirt is not worn causing the piston to rattle it seems to work.
Still cut mine though.

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

EE

It's worth it for the cool story you'll always have with that motor!! I've had to pull topends off and cut the tangs to quiet noisy motors guys didn't cut the tangs on.. you won't notice as much on: a tight bore, nice chamfers on the intakes or intakes not enlarged at all but it's noisier. once just to see i looked at the wear on the tangs and just removed that much which was about half and then rounded the edges and chamfered the intake worked ok but why not just remove it? The engine actually wants as much piston out of the way of the intake air path as soon as possible.. i'd love to see someone make (single ring for racing 2 ring for street) pistons with cut outs instead of windows for the RD350 & 400's...