Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Wossner pistons for my R5

Started by soonerbillz, March 18, 2021, 05:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soonerbillz

So I've set up for John Ritter to do my R5 top end and crank It's gonna be a bit cuz he real busy..but thats ok as I got lots to do before hand.
But I'm to supply the parts.. and he will do all the work.
I'm looking at these Wossner pistons..but never used the brand before ..was hoping ya'll might have some insight into value and any points to share.
Looks like the pickings for R5 pistons are slim and really don't want to rely on Ebay for this.

https://www.economycycle.com/shop/yamaha-rd250350400r5ds6ds7-parts/engine-related/pistons-yamaha-rd250350400r5ds6ds7-parts/wossner-piston-kits-yamaha-r5-all-years-sold-each/

rodneya

HVC has cast pistons for the R5. IMO they will be better in an air cooled stock or slightly modified motor than forged Wossner.

Greaser Greg

I've read on here that forged pistons are really only necessary for flat out gittin' it type riding\racing.  I ended up with a pair (actually a whole SUPERTUNE top end) that I robbed from another project so I used 'em and just adjust my riding style accordingly. :dawg:  Kinda rattly 'til warmed up but then it runs and sounds suh-weet!
I've never seen any bad reviews of the HVC stuff, and am using one in my current build, next to an ART and they appear to my untrained eye not all that different. Nice finish and uniform dimensions, etc.
Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

soonerbillz

I'll have to go look again but I though they only had cast stock size available.

m in sc

wossner is good. they are less prone to the rattle like the wisecos are, different material composition. i plan on going that way when one of the r5s needs an overhaul.   :twocents:

Hawaii-Mike

I've had a couple of top ends with Wossners and IMO they are the best.  If properly setup, they will run for thousands of miles without rattling.

Yamaha 179

I use Wossners in our racing RD 250s and like them very much.  Forged pistons require more clearance than cast and should be given some warm up time before being run but they give good performance and life. I would use cast if they were available in the sizes I needed.
Lyn Garland

AAAltered

I rolled the bones on HVC +.5 pistons seven years ago.  I have well over 2000 'spirited' street miles on them with no issues....

I was always told Stock Yamaha is the best, however as you've seen the supply is very spotty.  Often what you find are beat up NOS "shelf wear" junk.  Correct NOS rings are also difficult to find.

Also when searching NOS you will run into the "Keystone versus Dykes" challenge.

HVC is showing .25 and .75 in stock.  At $180 for a *full kit* it's quite attractive.

Good Luck
Ed
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

soonerbillz

Thank you all for your responses.. excellent info!