Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

"Money no object" RD400 restomod

Started by Dvsrd, March 29, 2021, 09:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dvsrd

Some may already have seen this build, I just saw it on BikeExif. BST carbon fiber wheels and Ohlins fork and shocks. Extremely high budget, I'd say, but still tastefully done.
http://www.bikebound.com/2021/03/23/ultimate-rd/

The Red Scourge

I think this one was posted in a 2 stroke facebook group the other week.  I've always been under the impression the term "resto-mod" referred to restoring a bike, but with era-appropriate modifications done.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I've seen a lot of "resto-mod" bikes with 80's-90's components.  Just my thought.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

m in sc

very very very nicely done.

would have gone with a scotts damper (or similar style) to clean up the look but that's it. beautiful.

Jspooner

"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

sav0r

He has great taste in grips. I use the same ones.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

rodneya

Quote from: The Red Scourge on March 29, 2021, 10:21:47 AM
I think this one was posted in a 2 stroke facebook group the other week.  I've always been under the impression the term "resto-mod" referred to restoring a bike, but with era-appropriate modifications done.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I've seen a lot of "resto-mod" bikes with 80's-90's components.  Just my thought.

Resto-mod is restoring an old vehicle with modern components.
That said, I'm surprised that they did not use USD forks and radial calipers. Those caliper brackets and spiderweb spool things o the swing-arm are the only things I don't really like. The rest of the bike is pretty sweet. Definitely big $ spent

Czakky

:clap: 260lbs and 78hp. It looks great too.

RDFL

IMO, RD's look better with Regular forks. Beautiful bike, great color choice and seat.

retaRD

There's nothing about it I don't like. 

In fact, the bike has 17" wheels but it's set up correctly to run them.  I guess that's how things go when you have Harris modifying the frame and making the trees/swinger.   
Usually when 17's are slapped on an RD the bike sits too low and looks 2' longer. 

I love it.

The Red Scourge

Quote from: rodneya on March 29, 2021, 01:00:32 PM
Quote from: The Red Scourge on March 29, 2021, 10:21:47 AM

Resto-mod is restoring an old vehicle with modern components.
That said, I'm surprised that they did not use USD forks and radial calipers. Those caliper brackets and spiderweb spool things o the swing-arm are the only things I don't really like. The rest of the bike is pretty sweet. Definitely big $ spent

Ah, I stand corrected.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

Gill

:clap: :clap: :clap: Some guys know how to pull off a good rebuild. :righteous: :evil:

sav0r

It's probably hard to find USD forks long enough. At least ones with proper performing internals. Who knows what they did chassis wise though?
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

Seizer

I like it a lot. Would love to try a test ride lol.