News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

My Mustang projects...

Started by soonerbillz, March 30, 2021, 08:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soonerbillz

Just so you know that I'm a glutton for punishment..
Besides all my bike stuff going on .. I also am knee deep in building two 1st generation Mustangs.
One is a 72 Grande Coupe running a 351 Cleveland fmx auto. The other is 73 Sportsroof (not a Mach 1) 429 toploader 4 speed car.
Both are long term projects and my holy grail cars.. always wanted one of each..

m in sc

have a soft spot for the fat mustangs. I had a 71 for about 6 years with a very built 351w when no one was building them (as my daily driver because i was 17 when i built it). could not hurt that motor. Cam hit so hard at idle it actually broke the antenna in about 6 mos.  :patriot:  :dawg:  that 429 car is sick. I also had at the same time a 70 1/2 falcon torino with an even more built 429. that car legit scared me and i sold it very shortly after i built it @22 yrs old.

85RZwade

I do love an old ford, and those two are very cool. For the uninitiated (maybe just me), what's the difference between a sportsroof and a Mach 1?
I post waayyy too much

AAAltered

In 71 my sister had a 1969 351 coupe Three Speed stick.  Blue with the black half vinyl roof.

Got my wife this 66 as a "she beat cancer and you only live once" gift...

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

m in sc

Quote from: 85RZwade on July 07, 2021, 03:55:13 PM
what's the difference between a sportsroof and a Mach 1?

basically a trim and performance 'package' on the mach1. however, you could typically cherry pick all the go fast shit on the more 'base' cars back then.

ive seen some neat options ordered on cars in the junkyards way back in my 20's. Ive also seen (recently) factory optioned 428 4d galaxies. My dad did that back in 67 with our 'family car,   67 chevy2 with posi, 327 all manual stuff, powerglide, with rubber mat interior and dog dish hubcaps. lol. mom thought it was the 'cheap practical base car'.  My uncle ratted him out years later said he was till running it on test and tune on Saturdays at the NY dragstrip on LI near Islip. Dad still denies it to this day.  :dawg: :clint:  hes not in this video but I remember going to this strip when i was very, very young.  I lived so close to the Islip Speedway, we would hear the circle track races on Fri & Sat at night. And he wonders why i was so into it all these years.  :toot:

https://youtu.be/yGkb0D7cSlI