Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

One side runs, then the other!

Started by Greaser Greg, April 03, 2021, 12:07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2t Fan

connecting a digital volt meter to the battery will give an idea of the voltage ups and downs ?

Greaser Greg

Yes, it does.  Charging properly. 12.6 or .7 at 1400rpm and up from there to brief over 15 spurts.
Rode it up the block and blew the 20 amp fuse.  Went to 25 thinking that the modern combo reg\rec might put out more than that and that fuse held, but right side went out again. I suspect the janky automotive style connecters I will most likely find in the main switch harness and plug splice wrapped in vinyl tape.  This is why I call it the decaf project. :spider-1:
Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

Greaser Greg

New battery and some replacing of connectors made a huge difference! Dropped the lift for another rip on the road.  As soon as the lift hit bottom with a bang, out went the right side! Much wiggling of wires and a few sputters but nothing could put humpty together again.
Does the ground wire from the case go to the battery with the neg from harness, or somewhere else?
New set of points on right side, timing and bypass harness to ignition is on tonight's agenda.

Greaser Greg

Here's an update on the latest decaf adventures.
Left carb had cracks in the choke plunger cap and the external spring didn't hold the choke all the way off, so the air from the cracks let the left side run but the straight extra fuel on the right side was a no go.  That and the extra wire length of the thinner than stock wire in the harness, with old main key switch and connecters resulting in to much voltage drop were just the icing? on the cake.  Once the coils got a direct wire from the battery with thicker wires and new connectors throughout the ignition system the motor started with barely a full kick and was much more crisp. 
It ran great on the 170 mains that were installed when I bought the bike, but instead of riding it to do a plug chop I decided to go ahead and go bigger and work my way down, just to be safe.  Local shop had some 205 195 and 190 so I started with those. Way too big. Ordered some genuine jets from JetsRus; 175,180, 185. Plugs fouled after the first two runs down to 175 before I could get a reliable butt dyno reading, and the right plug threads got funky.  So pulled the heads and sent them to get squish band angles changed.  I had another head laying around with good threads so skipped the repair on the stripped one for now.  I'm glad I got the bad one off before the metal from the threads went into the engine. Big nasty slivers. Cylinders are basic balance port job done with John Ritter at his shop, stock heads, and Spec II Classics.