Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Oil Pump or Premix = Good Cop || Bad Cop

Started by Milan, April 20, 2021, 11:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milan

"  ive seen people try to use the tank as reservoir for premix, its always a pain in the ass unless you add a higher flowing valve or spigot. "

yes, thats what the valve above does.
press button, gravity drain from oil tank.

I have to test how fast it comes out to see if acceptable.

Striker1423

Striker1423

Quote from: Striker1423 on April 21, 2021, 10:59:00 AM
Quote from: Milan on April 21, 2021, 10:50:38 AM
"  ive seen people try to use the tank as reservoir for premix, its always a pain in the ass unless you add a higher flowing valve or spigot. "

yes, thats what the valve above does.
press button, gravity drain from oil tank.

I have to test how fast it comes out to see if acceptable.

Ever pull the hose off and drain the oil tank?

It's slow.

Unless that unit pre-fills as you ride and can be made to just dump 3 ounces at a pump, you'll be waiting a while. Not agonizingly long, but long enough to look around and take in the news on the pump screen.  :twocents:

Arrow

Quote from: Striker1423 on April 21, 2021, 10:25:29 AM
I understand that basically pumps oil into something you can then dump in the tank.

I think you might misunderstand the mileage of these bikes and the capacity of the oil tank over a long period of riding.

When setup at stock my bike got roughly 34 miles to a gallon. I'd make it around 100 miles before needing to gas up. Oil consumption was roughly 1/4 of a tank of oil. Seems high, but that's about how much oil my bike used.

If I rode on a 200 mile one way rip, I'd have to bring an extra quart of oil just in case the tank ran too low.

Oil consumption on these bikes is actually pretty high from my experience. Could be my oil pump, but I've never had another one to compare it to.
Your consumption is pretty normal. On the 4L0 its approx. 2 full tanks of fuel to 1 liter of 2t.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Arrow

Quote from: Striker1423 on April 21, 2021, 10:25:29 AM
I understand that basically pumps oil into something you can then dump in the tank.

I think you might misunderstand the mileage of these bikes and the capacity of the oil tank over a long period of riding.

When setup at stock my bike got roughly 34 miles to a gallon. I'd make it around 100 miles before needing to gas up. Oil consumption was roughly 1/4 of a tank of oil. Seems high, but that's about how much oil my bike used.

If I rode on a 200 mile one way rip, I'd have to bring an extra quart of oil just in case the tank ran too low.

Oil consumption on these bikes is actually pretty high from my experience. Could be my oil pump, but I've never had another one to compare it to.
Your consumption is pretty normal. On the 4L0 it approx 2 full tanks of fuel to 1 liter of 2t.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Milan

Thats what I was thinking.

Backup plan is to spin weld on another larger ploy hose barb in the small ones place.
So original hose could still be stretched to fit. maybe 5/16" or 3/8"

Otherwise look at the babes, or scenery while getting oil.

I guess you could always blow in the vent line hose.

Kawtriplefreak

Unless you are building a lightweight or racing where weight can make a difference between winning and losing premix on a street bike is a PITA. I got a nice ball valve from M in SC and adapted it to fit on the oil tank on the original iteration of the Phoenix Project because I let someone talk me into it when my motor was built. It over oils the engine and makes refueling harder. The pumps when properly maintained are very reliable. It may happen tomorrow but I have been riding these bikes since they were new and I have never had a pump or lubrication related failure. Just my  :twocents:

e30 gangsta

Street bike, pump all day. Track bike pre mix.

retaRD

I rode cross country on the pump.  Carried a 5L jug of Motul and refilled it with good oil when I could find it.

Now I beat the hell out of it, still on the pump.

The only time my pump "failed" was when I failed to refill the tank.  Felt the engine start to seize, caught it before any real damage was done, refilled, primed, kept going.  This was in the middle of nowhere outside Cody, Wyoming on the way to Oregon..

Take care of the pump, and it'll take care of you.
After all, it's the most lubricated part of the engine.

Czakky

rodneya

retaRD

Quote from: rodneya on April 22, 2021, 02:12:29 PM
You should get that side stand moved before there is nothing left of it

I've made changes since then.  But you're right.

m in sc

Nathan on my G3 a few yrs ago. 

retaRD

rd400canuck

I went premix on my 76 RD400 because the throttle pull was annoying for me. Once I disconnected the pump and twisted the throttle it felt like butter and was easy as pie. I loved it so much I have been premix ever since.