Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Brazing on exhaust pipes

Started by Czakky, April 23, 2021, 12:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Czakky

I have some exhaust pipes that need some work (no 2t content). I've got an oxy/acetylene torch and can braze.

Could a guy braze on an exhaust spring loop? Like muffler can to pipe spring with a bit of tension holding it on.

Just trying to take care of this two minute job myself. I just don't know if braze is strong enough.

sav0r

It should be fine. When I modded my DGs I brazed most of the brackets on. I've done that with numerous pipes over the years. I also really like the look of braze.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

Czakky

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

Czakky

Well my brazing has never been show-off material but I'll show what I do.

I bought an early Ducati monster 900 carby this winter.

Dvsrd

Quote from: Czakky on April 24, 2021, 11:53:22 AM
Well my brazing has never been show-off material but I'll show what I do.

I bought an early Ducati monster 900 carby this winter.

I hope you enjoy the Monster. I think they are great bikes, and actually quite easy to work on. I have a 1995 M600, with a 680 kit, Gualdi Carbon slip ons and 39 Keihin FCRs.
If yours has stock carbs/ jetting/ air filter, I recommend a replacement K&N in the stock air box, and a Dynojet (jet) kit. That make them much more rideable at lower rpm.

rodneya

You could weld with the oxy torch as well, but brazing works better for hangers and spigots as it allows a bit of flex without cracking.

Dvsrd

Quote from: rodneya on April 24, 2021, 05:45:27 PM
You could weld with the oxy torch as well, but brazing works better for hangers and spigots as it allows a bit of flex without cracking.
Ducati oem pipes are SS, so not sure if oxyacetylene welding is a good idea. Back before TIG was common, silver solder was often used on thin SS tubing and sheet.

Czakky

Ended up not needing to braze at all. Long story but I ended up with some stainless Leo Vince pipes. I like these better than the high pipes I had before.

sav0r

www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

85RZwade

Personally, I make allowances for Ducatis because of the desmodromic actuation. And they're Ducatis.  :love:
I post waayyy too much

Czakky

Kawtriplefreak

Ha! Our 2 strokes of the RD and RZ persuasion have valves... Reed valves and power valves  :dawg: :dawg: