This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Is this battery enough for my rd400

Started by rd400greenhorn, April 25, 2021, 06:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400greenhorn

Found a litium 12v 2 AH battery that fits nicely in my stock battery box
Is this to small power wise or would be allright?

Dvsrd

Depends on your ignition setup. With a CDI/ Magneto setup like VAPE/ HPI/ YPVS/ Banshee or original Europe 400E, 2Ah should be plenty. But with points or any other type battery powered ignition, I would have looked for something closer to the oem battery specs. Others may have a different opinion.

pidjones

So far, the YTX5L-BS 4 amp 80 CCA Mighty Max scooter battery that I bought on Amazon is working well in my US RD400c. Don't know that particular brand's availability in other countries, but with scooter popularity, an equivalent should be available. It is the right height and width but just a bit thinner. Straps down with stock band just fine.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

rd400greenhorn

Iam currently Trying to setup my vape/power dynamo ignition.
Using chucks guide but still some questions pop up.

Anyone can tell me what these 3 pictures show
I assume Its a plus / minus wire for the battery from the stock wire harnes on picture 1?

Picture 2, not sure what relay sits there??

As with the 2 Brown and pink wire with connectors are fore on picure 3?

AAAltered

(((Last picture))) On a 350, Pink/Brown are for the horn.  Placement seems right for your 400 for those to be horn also.
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

rd400greenhorn

Ah yes offcourse 😁🤷‍♂️👍👍

rodneya

Vape does not recommend a lithium battery with their system. I know that people do run them, but I used a 3ah alarm battery instead. Super cheap, light, reliable, does not leak and is not going to go thermonuclear under my ass.

m in sc

Dvsrd

I have had a Super B 2600 LiPoFe battery in my RD with Vape/ Powerdynamo for more than 5 years with no issues. But yes, there is a small chance things may go wrong. So Vape is playing it safe, to avoid being sure. I think that a voltmeter can be a sensible precaution against battery issues. 
If going the lead/agm/gel battery route, even a 1Ah is enough for operating the "kill" relay. Parking light is another matter. Led bulbs may be helpful for that issue.

m in sc

i ran one of the ballistic 4 cells in my s2 for years. 5 or so as above.. but i never 100% trusted it. not worth the risk IMHO. If you are concerned with weight.. the newer HPI/vape regulators (non finned) have a capacitor built in.  But no relay. the 1-2-3 ah conventional or agm is a good option for sure.

rd400greenhorn

Well i have gone a 5 ah gel battery for the silver rd

My custom rd has a 4 cell antigravity and Will stay that way because it has a custom holder for that exsact battery 😅😉

Dvsrd

Quote from: m in sc on April 26, 2021, 10:10:47 AM
i ran one of the ballistic 4 cells in my s2 for years. 5 or so as above.. but i never 100% trusted it. not worth the risk IMHO. If you are concerned with weight.. the newer HPI/vape regulators (non finned) have a capacitor built in.  But no relay. the 1-2-3 ah conventional or agm is a good option for sure.

And for fully batteryless operation, using an ignition lock and a kill switch from any bike with either flywheel magneto/points ingnition, or a flywheel magneto CDI will give you normal function from ignition lock and kill switch. This because those ignition locks and kill switches will be closed circuit between the "kill"wire on the Vape/ Powerdynamo/ HPI and vehicle ground.  This is the simplest and lightest of all options. Pretty sure 350LC or 350YPVS (RZ) parts, as well as almost all smaller japanese bikes can be used.

m in sc

you can use a standard one. just use the switch to interrupt the signal from the pickup to the cdi unit. ;) no signal.. no fire. yellow wire i believe.