News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Helicoil vs time sert?

Started by pdxjim, May 01, 2021, 02:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxjim

I stripped out one of the aluminum axle pinch bolt threads on my KTM forks this morning.

Seems the only way to fix is a thread insert.

I don't have much experience with these other than paying someone else to do 'em when needed.

I'd like to tackle this one on my own this time.

Which is better/easier/more foolproof?
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

I like time serts. Heli coils are easier to find, but I think time serts are a more solid, reliable repair. Not difficult at all.
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

Thx Wade.

On a side note, I've been battling my shitty Tecumseh lawnmower for two days trying to get it to run.

Carb off and ultrasconic'd, new fuel lines, etc.

Not my idea of a good time
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Czakky

A new carb is really cheap on a lot of those tecumseh engines FWIW. I find most of my small engine issues are related to the auto choke.
Not that you asked, just sharing my experience.... :twocents:

soonerbillz

Quote from: Czakky on May 01, 2021, 04:33:33 PM
A new carb is really cheap on a lot of those tecumseh engines FWIW. I find most of my small engine issues are related to the auto choke.
Not that you asked, just sharing my experience.... :twocents:

Fact...
I hate the damn thing. Just ordered a China carb for my briggs 21 horse single.. tired of messing with the damn thing.  $15 sfree shipping.. if it works for 2-3 years it paid for itself.

Back on topic.. have had good luck with time sert

pidjones

If you need strength, Timesert. If strength is not an issue (carb float bowl, etc.) Helicoils are cheap and easy. You can get kits on Amazon for low $$. Axle pinch bolt, I'd go for Timesert.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

rodneya

Timesert with a drop of locktite is pretty much permanent

85RZwade

And if you need help with the lawnmower, I know a guy  :wave:
I post waayyy too much

oxford

I have used this style insert with good results in the past. 

Striker1423

Real Timeserts are expensive. But absolutely worth it. You'll never have to touch it again save you cross threading it on accident.

85RZwade

On that note, I had to buy a bag of 10 inserts for a recent repair, 8mm but I don't remember what pitch. I'd look, but I' In Portland at the One Moto show! If they're right for you I'll send a couple...what size do you need?
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

The ones I need are m8x1.25, but I'll be needing the rest of the kit as well

I ordered a helicoil kit off Amazon   If it looks too cheezy I'll go with timesheets

Have fun at the show. I'm sitting it out this year 👍

85RZwade

Ya sat it out last year! Stay tuned to this Bat-station (yes, The Batman was there); pictures to come.
I post waayyy too much