News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Doesn't seem to want choke

Started by pidjones, May 01, 2021, 05:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pidjones

RD400c, recently rescued and running. Starts 1st kick or won't start at all. Does NOT seem to want choke. As far as I can tell, it has stock jetting. I pulled the BBs and cleared the ports/plugged with set screws. I only have about 8.5 miles on it s far, but it ran real well (I'm being gentle on it while breaking in new rings). Thing is, it drips oil from the exhaust. Now, I have not had a chance to run it to temperature but once, so maybe not getting it hot enough and just building up crud in the exhaust. Wouldn't start when I took it off the trailer at the car show today, but during the show I pulled the plugs, wiped them off, and it started to drive it back onto the trailer.

Should I not worry about it not needing choke at all? It usually won't start if I choke it. I doubt the oil dripping is a problem except for the mess it is making?
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

RDFL

Did you use RTV on the exhaust?

m in sc

double check fuel level and pilot circuit.

Jspooner

Check that the slides are in correct. Cut outs facing the rear of the bike.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

pidjones

pidjones

Quote from: Jspooner on May 01, 2021, 05:55:39 PM
Check that the slides are in correct. Cut outs facing the rear of the bike.
Checked and correct. Would it run so well with them reversed? Anyway, I had the intake boots off a couple days ago to check that.

pidjones

Quote from: m in sc on May 01, 2021, 05:34:26 PM
I'll have to make a couple bowl drain adapter screws for checking actual fuel level. Is there a chance the choke (which seems to actually be an enricher) is leaking past?

m in sc

possible. is the spring on the plunger shaft?  I meant check float level..02

pidjones

Quote from: m in sc on May 01, 2021, 08:47:53 PM
possible. is the spring on the plunger shaft?  I meant check float level..02
Pretty sure the spring is there (but will check as soon as I can). I checked the float levels several times on reassembly. Just didn't check the right float valve seat tight. Having wrestled Keihin carbs on GoldWings, the Mikunis seem to be a breeze.

BTW, the oily exhaust seems equal on both sides.

Bad weather is due in Monday, and tomorrow I promised to work on a lady's VStrom. Might be next weekend before I get a chance to ride it enough to heat it up again.

teazer

Choke plungers seem to last forever, but they do in fact go hard and fail to seal properly.

If the seal end is hard or doesn't seal well, replace them.  I had that issue on a GT750 a while back with a plunger that failed to seal properly and ran really rich on that cylinder.  RD400 has one plunger and a cross connector, so it's a cheap fix if that's the issue.

pidjones

Pulled the choke and the spring is still there and springy. Put it back together and it seems to be more firm now. Maybe I didn't get the aluminum shim in right before. Took the left float bowl off and the float valve seat was tight, but the level was maybe 3 mm high so I adjusted that. Rain all day today and tomorrow so maybe Wednesday afternoon it will be dry enough for me to test.

teazer

Quote from: pidjones on May 01, 2021, 06:02:17 PM
Quote from: m in sc on May 01, 2021, 05:34:26 PM
I'll have to make a couple bowl drain adapter screws for checking actual fuel level. .....

Good idea to check fuel level. 

We all know that checking float height is just a simple way to do that but in the real world it's not as accurate and doesn't identify issues such as floats hanging up or float needle jets not sealing.  When there are carb problems, I always take the extra time to check the actual fuel levels and it's surprising how often it helps to identify an issue that is invisible with a simple float check.

pidjones

Does anyone know what the bowl drain screw thread is? I could spin a couple out on the lathe.

m in sc

set it to factory float level. thqts all thats needed on a stock set of carbs.  :twocents:

pidjones

They are rechecked. Left needed ~ 3mm adjustment. If the monsoons ever pass and the roads clear, I'll get her out for a test ride.