News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Rear shocks?

Started by soonerbillz, May 02, 2021, 03:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soonerbillz

Has any had any experience with the Progressive shocks at Economy?
I looked at Halgon but see it has reviews staying the chain guard interferes on the R5.
Also looked at the TEC versions. They looked good but reviews were mixed..
The Progressive shock are offered in regular and gas charged. Not sure which to go with but it's only 50 bucks difference so maybe the gas version.

AAAltered

I've been running those for years.  They are so much better than the Chinese reservoir shocks that were way to stiff for the R5....

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

soonerbillz

Quote from: AAAltered on May 03, 2021, 08:57:14 AM
I've been running those for years.  They are so much better than the Chinese reservoir shocks that were way to stiff for the R5....

So those are the Progressive brand? Gas ?

~JM~

Hagon offers a slim-line of springs.

AAAltered

I got them at Economy....

"Progressive Series 14 Magnum Shocks/Springs Performance Street Package for Yamaha RD350, RD400, RD250, R5
$249.95 "

NOT gas.
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

sav0r

The 7mm wire RFY shocks are actually softer than the Progressive springs at their top end rate. The difference is that the RFY springs are effective straight rate and the Progressive springs are not (maybe someday Progressive will publish actual rate info, but I doubt it).

The best thing the Progressive setup has is that it clears the chain guard and they carry a classic look (albeit way outdated as far as suspension is concerned). Otherwise RFY's are better in every respect. Progressive (type of spring, not brand) springs are a Band-Aid fix for all sorts of setup issues. Emulsion shocks suck, gas separated shocks are so much better in every respect.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.