Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Adapting rearsets . Daytona

Started by This Old Daytona, December 08, 2023, 11:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This Old Daytona

Okay, what's the deal w rear sets. We've all seen the awful ones, clunky ones etc, Everyone always hated Moto Carrerras.

So Off the cuff , let's say adapting newer Yamaha R-6 rear sets..what would anyone see as a problem?
  As far as I'm thinking..I only need to worry about
1.) aligning w the shift shat, proper spacing " off" the frame.
2.)  Then making sure, they have full swing of operation to engage & rotate shift shaft.
3.) Making sure, shift rod is appropriate length.
4.) Splines on shift shaft match RD.

What am I missing in my determination? Any advice.
 I wonder as there has been so many complaints on Daytona rearsets.. I'M STILL NOT 100% SURE WHY DAYTONA AND RDS ARE NOT COMPATIBLE PERHAPS SOMEBODY COULD LET ME KNOW WHAT THAT IS ,  I COULD LEARN SOMETHING THERE. 👍

Are there any late model bikes that have the same splines as a RD ?

Any tips from anyone who's adapted different rear sets to their RD.

Reason I'm asking, is it appears the 2-3 that I've found are approx $500.00
 I have several sets of GSXR, R-6, and older Hondas in my storage locker, so there free.
 You can buy new  aluminum assemblies on EBay  for any modern bike, that get good reviews for $100.00 bucks. But I'd rather not use anything China on my bike..for a few reasons..
Trying to save as much $$ on a few modifications.
 My bike has adapted ones already. No idea what they are But the foot pegs are utter & ugly garbage w rubber inserts and they're kind of heavy looking cast aluminum..I may be able to swap em out..pegs out..which I might be able to live with😀🫣😂

Whatcha got 🤔

rodneya

I have GSXR rear sets on a 350. From a newer GSXR where the shift lever is separate from the foot peg and the linkage runs straight up. I dont use the shifter or linkage and prefer to use a solid shift lever running backward and shift GP pattern. Doesnt take ling to get used to and there is no slop from the linkage. I think the shift lever is from an 80's air cooled Suzuki GS

m in sc

tbh, the harder side is always the brake side. I've made rear-sets from scratch, bought, or adapted them from other bikes. Just depends how much room you have peg/kickstarter. usually you can adapt modern ones with an adapter mounting plate. then there's the kickstart clearance that needs to be accounted for.

85RZwade

I think that a lot is possible with parts from other bikes, and it all depends on how tool room perfect you need the results to be. I had some FZ600 foot rests on hand and they looked fine to me, so I'm using them on my LC project:

Used parts are plentiful and new OEM bits are still available. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it's an option.

I post waayyy too much

This Old Daytona

Quote from: rodneya on December 09, 2023, 02:12:21 AMI have GSXR rear sets on a 350. From a newer GSXR where the shift lever is separate from the foot peg and the linkage runs straight up. I dont use the shifter or linkage and prefer to use a solid shift lever running backward and shift GP pattern. Doesnt take ling to get used to and there is no slop from the linkage. I think the shift lever is from an 80's air cooled Suzuki GS
My 86 Honda Interceptors are that way from factory, When ya get a chance could you post you a couple pics of each side? If so, that would be awesome 👍

rodneya

RustyRD

I modified my frame tabs to accept ninja 250 rear sets .Brake side has MC attached to it also.

RustyRD