Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Rd350 not Charging

Started by Scooterror, April 02, 2019, 06:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooterror

I recently put on a dyna ignition  (vintage smoke), and a Ricks regulator.: https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/part/10-424/NzRZYW1SRDM1MA==
Now my battery doesn't charge. Going to try the stock regulator but just wanted to check if anyone had this issue before or can point me in the right direction?  It starts up fine, all electric works then it slowly runs worse. I check the battery and it is almost dead.

Dvsrd

Was it charging before fitting the new regulator? Brushes not too worn and moving freely in the holders?
Has the bike been sitting unused for a long period?

m in sc

when you moved everything around to change the trigger rotor, make sure you didn't break a wire or unseat a brush, or unseat a plug. . the dyna itself has zero effect on the charging system.  but moving 40-45 year old wiring might.  :twocents:

AAAltered

It can be something easy, like brushes making poor contact, glazed rotor, or broken wire as stated.  Note that there is a step-by-step checkout of the entire system in the RD Service Manual.  It has resistance values, test points, etc etc.   I even had worn brushes get crooked in the carrier, they wore to an angle.

It could also be a bad battery.

With these systems, we've all been here.

When I rebuilt my brushes, I found one was shorted to ground within the carrier.  Look at all connections and solder joints if you suspect brushes.  My short was due to a solder splash.

Bad brush:

Repair in Progress

New Brush Installed:

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

AAAltered

I just posted photos of the Manual pages covering the charging system in the Tech Library. 

Hope it helps:

http://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=332.msg2050#msg2050
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

Scooterror