News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Head studs replacements

Started by soonerbillz, May 08, 2021, 10:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soonerbillz

The head studs on my case are pretty rusted and crusty.
God only knows how many years they were left exposed to the elements.
(the top was taken off and the bike abandoned)
How hard will it be to pull the studs? Should I even try?  Sure hate to bust a case doing so. Where would I even find new replacements?

Czakky

Heat and double nut it. A new case won't be too hard to find.

Yamaha 179

You would have better luck with a stud remover.  I have two, one a Craftsman (I think) and one a Snap-On.  For a case stud the Craftsman works better because it can get right down to the bottom of the stud and the Snap-On works at the very top and I have had that one break studs which is a PITA.  The Craftsman style has a large metal
section that slides down over the stud and an inner section that turns and engages the stud when you put a rachet or breaker bar in place and apply pressure.  (Lousy description, I know.)  Best thing about that one is that you get right down at the bottom of the stud and eliminate any weakness in the rest of the stud.  I have had good luck using a 3/8" drive air wrench set at low torque hitting the stud for a couple of minutes and working it loose.  Good luck.
Lyn Garland

Czakky

Never knew such a thing existed.  :patriot:

lawnboy

Just did this last night. Penetrating oil, double nut, lots of patience and lots of heat worked for me. Used a MAPP gas torch. Having the motor in the bike also helps, allows for much more leverage than on a bench.

SoCal250

Quote from: Yamaha 179 on May 08, 2021, 05:54:41 PM
You would have better luck with a stud remover.  I have two, one a Craftsman (I think) and one a Snap-On.

That may be something to add to the tool chest  :thumbs:

Looks like the Craftsman 4458 (which it sounds like you have) is NLA. Some used ones on Ebay.
There are other similar ones available though from Gearwrench, Lisle, and PowerBuilt
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Yamaha 179

SoCal hit it on the head!!
Lyn

soonerbillz

Thanks guys.. looks like I'll be attempting this repair too.

soonerbillz

Success!!!
So I kinda did what you all talked about.. but didn't have one of the fancy stud removers. (gonna buy one this week though)
What I did is soak the case in lube for a couple days.  Then I took my biggest vise grip pliers I have and really cranked down on the studs with them right down by the case ..and put double nuts on the studs.
Then put the pressure on both the pliers and the nuts.
I found trying to tighten the stud first broke them loose.. then the double nuts just screwed them off.!!
One was really a sonuvagun.. I put some heat from my torch to it.. but it too finally broke loose.
Thanks everyone for the help..
It was scary for a second

:metal:

Greaser Greg

:clap: Way to go, "bill" :devil:.  The tighten to loosen trick is a great move that has gotten me out of a jam more than once.  Thanks for the reminder.  I'll file it under the "make sure to not get angry at the machine" heading. They only do what they're told, after all.
Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)