This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

R5 exhaust ?

Started by soonerbillz, May 07, 2021, 09:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soonerbillz

So gotta ask.. cuz I don't know
Is a stock exhaust on a R5 better than a aftermarket set of chambers?
The piston port vs reed is a big factor. But all the things I  read ..see are geared to RD350 as far as chambers. And ALL the builders and other offerings make no distinction between the two..
And it seems all are geared to track or high performance.
Some are mid range happy..
..and everything wants mods performed on footings, stand and such.
I read all the pipe id comments..
So confused...

Yamaha 179

Depends on what you want the bike for.  R5s are nice bikes but piston port engines are not as tractable as reed valve engines and that's why a lot of guys with R5s or DS7s changed their top ends to RD 350 or 350 cylinders; better around town manners.  That's why all my street bikes have used OEM pipes and the race bikes, except in the production class, had chambers.  Using the OEM exhaust lets you keep the center stand also and you only lose a little cornering clearance. 
Lyn Garland

Czakky

I tried a few pipes on my R5. There are pipes that are like stock but better, like the JL Street Retroes, the J&R old school pipes which performs similar to a DG pipe are like a crappy performance pipe.
Honest opinion if you want a street pipe keep it stock like Lyn says. The performance gain is not much with a JL retro. If you want to go sport riding and are modding your R5 you can look at the usual suspects for chambers.
It just depends on what your riding style is.

soonerbillz

Thanks.
I really don't want to use the chambers I see offered. This bike is strictly going to be street tickets. But my pipes are terrible and I don't see anything used factory out there worth a damn. Lots of beat up stuff though.
I sent a message to Jemco to see if they could reproduce a set.. not holding my breath.

Czakky

I have a pretty decent set of stock pipes for sale.

soonerbillz

Quote from: Czakky on May 08, 2021, 11:13:03 AM
I have a pretty decent set of stock pipes for sale.

Ok.. I'm interested..
Check your messages  :burnout:

m in sc

chambers on my r5 did great all week at deals gap.

I also have a CDI but heads/cyls/carbs dead nuts stock with y boot. midrange tractor. i liek my stock pipes on my 70 as well, but the 72 def runs stronger pretty much everywhere except right off idle to 2500 .

:twocents:

Dvsrd

Quote from: m in sc on May 09, 2021, 08:57:53 PM
chambers on my r5 did great all week at deals gap.

I also have a CDI but heads/cyls/carbs dead nuts stock with y boot. midrange tractor. i liek my stock pipes on my 70 as well, but the 72 def runs stronger pretty much everywhere except right off idle to 2500 .

:twocents:
What chambers specifically?

m in sc

on my current one, pipelynes. But i have also run j&r with very good success and i would imagine the j&l retro street pipes would be very good as well.