Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Helmet reccomendations

Started by Joshua, May 09, 2021, 02:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua

I prob need to get a helmet at some point.  So for someone who lives in Florida and does not like to wear a helmet, any recommendations?  Yes, I want to wear one, I just don't like it. . . lol.

I'm doing my best to gear up, but I've not been riding for long enough for all my gear to have wasted away.  Any points in the right direction with gear I should have would be welcome as well.  Just ordered riding gloves, have my boots I'm good with now . . . so  lightweight jackets? Summer is upon us and it's smoking hot. . .

paul1478

Well I can tell you not to buy Shoei GT-Air II Helmet
Too loud.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

pidjones

Find a store that will let you try them on and wear them around. Get a helmet liner (makes the helmet more comfortable, anyway).  Try different ones on until you find one you like (should be snug but not tight) and wear it around for about half an hour. Different helmets have different internal shapes just like different heads have different shapes. Don't go by price - you don't wear the price tag. Get one that you will WEAR! I personally wear HJC because that is my head shape. I wear a modular with flip-down sun visor, but I also ride GoldWings and Spyders and tour some. For shorter distance, a full-coverage on a 2-stroke might be more reasonable as you won't need to flip up the chin bar to take a drink.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

SoCal250

I like my Shoei RF-1200. Has internal pad options so it can be fine tuned for fit (i.e. thinner or thicker inserts). But like said above, you need to try on a bunch of different brands/models to see what best suits your head.

For a warm weather jacket I have an Alpinestars T-GP Pro Air that I really like. It has become my go-to jacket now and I rarely wear my leather one. When it gets a little cool here I install the nylon liner that came with it, but most of the year I run it without. There's also a Viper mesh model that may work for you.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

gardenhosebusabottle

The other thing is, I wear prescription glasses.  The helmet I have is designed to allow eyeglasses w/o breaking or bending the arms too much.   Once you find your head shape, ask the sales person to look for that particular style.

the Shoei leaves an indent on my forehead unfortunately, so I know the last one i bought was the wrong head shape.

m in sc

i liked my nolans but cant find them here anymore. however, i picked up an hjc maxII and really like it. i prefer modulars.

SoCal250

Quote from: m in sc on May 11, 2021, 02:47:46 PM
i liked my nolans but cant find them here anymore. however, i picked up an hjc maxII and really like it. i prefer modulars.
My brother had a Nolan a long time ago that he really liked and he also went to an HJC after that.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Czakky

Learn the shape of your head and try on a helmet for 5mins if possible. You'll start to feel hotspots by then. Read up on head shapes on web bike world. A helmet that truly fits correct is amazing and you won't mind wearing it. If you have the right head shape you can get a decent helmet for around $200. I've got a pretty oval head and wear Arai Signet series these days. I wear my helmets out after 4-5 years and replace the liners and pads every 2-3 years.

rodneya

Will any shops actually let you try a helmet on at the moment?

pidjones

Quote from: rodneya on May 11, 2021, 06:56:37 PM
Will any shops actually let you try a helmet on at the moment?
Last Fall Cycle Gear was letting you try them on.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

85RZwade

Like Czakky, I wear Arai "long oval" helmets. My boys tease me because I don't take my lid off when we stop to take a break on the trail, but if it fits right you don't want to take it off.
I post waayyy too much

Milan

pdxjim

I have a Shoei head.

My RF-1400 fits great, is quiet, and fits fine with Wayfarers no problem.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

sav0r

Arai are generally the best helmets on the market, IMO. You pay for it though.

Of all the helmets I have had, I hate my current HJC the most. I like some of the features, which is why I bought it, but it's noisy, clunky, and not particularly well made. For a $600 lid, it's really disappointing. I should have spent the extra $300 and gotten another Arai.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

Seizer

Another factor to consider is how you intend to use the helmet. For example, I wear a Nolan X-Lite RS at the racetrack. It's comfortable, flows a lot of air through it and man, is it gorgeous. It's also super loud, but I wear earplugs so no big deal. As a track helmet, 9.5/10, as a street helmet not so much. Too loud. I have a Bell Race Star for a street helmet and it's much quieter. I've got a Carda comm unit to play music/ navigation etc. Touring helmets although heavier, are much quieter and most have "pockets" for speakers.
There are many options out there, just make sure the fitment is correct as that is what's most important.