This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

1975 RD350B

Started by 85RZwade, May 17, 2021, 01:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

From Speedmotoco in Oregon:

LED headlight with built-in GPS speedometer. I'm pretty happy with it, but the top triple clamp had a ring to surround the ignition switch and posts to mount said switch that were in the way, so out came Mr. Hacksaw...

Also the first step in the handlebar riser scheme. More material to be removed with a die grinder burr, but I need more paraffin wax.
That's all good, but after all these recent acquisitions, I checked into my account at the credit union:

It appears that I need to devote more energy to making wheel spacers, assembling engines and getting the work done with what I have. No more late-night eBay. Shim the swingarm instead. Forget about the cool bar-end mirrors, make a rear caliper carrier bracket. Good stuff like that.
I post waayyy too much

Striker1423

Your account looks real similar to mine... Sans GME paying off... eventually lol.

85RZwade

You kids and your abbreviations! Yes, I had to Google GME; I remember now.
I post waayyy too much

soonerbillz

Brother.. your yoke chopping is a reminder of my race bike building..
When some freind told me I couldn't put a cbr600 front end on a ex250..
My response was.. "hold my beer"

85RZwade

:stupid-1: more on that later, Scott!
Today I hid from the rain and dismounted the paddle tire from the YZ490 wheel I bought, and brought it together with the TDR250 wheel. Both D.I.D 2.50, 36-hole rims, so they're the same...or so I thought.

The TDR rim is a delicate flower compared to the open-class dirt bike piece. What a brute.

So I'll clean up the YZ rim and address the worst of the scratches before having it anodized again, and hopefully get it pretty close to the same color as the front. Both rear wheels gotta come apart first...
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

...and to that end, I'd like to not destroy the spokes or nipples in the process. Don't you hate it when the can of panther piss loses it's propellant and you can still feel all those expensive chemicals in there?

I can't bring myself to throw them out. Finally, I have a use for these traitorous containers:

Motorcycle wheel hot tub party! I figure I'll turn it every day, 3 spokes submerged at a time, 36 spokes...it'll be awhile. But I'm still making wheel spacers and steering head bearing spacers, etc, so what's the rush? Better than cursing at seized nipples (make your own joke).
Just got a text that my handlebars are in! Looks like I'm going to town today, after all  :celebrate:
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

The top triple clamp metamorphosis:

I post waayyy too much

sav0r

The metamorphosis isn't visible.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

m in sc

is there a spacer on the clamp mounting bolts between the new plate and the tree? I hope so. looks great btw.  :cheerleader:

85RZwade

:haw: thanks, man! There WILL be spacers, but I haven't made 'em yet. I have a piece chucked in the lathe for a triple clamp spacer presently. Getting closer all the time...
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

The soaking routine worked very well and every nipple unscrewed without incident. Last moment as a TDR wheel assembly:

Got an Excel rim from my new best friend Mark (not that Mark) that I like better than the YZ item; it's much lighter and the color match is pretty good:

Excel on the right, with the sticker and TDR D.I.D on the left. And what it'll look like once the spokes get here and we lace:

Yeah, not the most dramatic transformation ever! Moving forward...
2.50x17, 36 hole D.I.D gold rim for sale!
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

Good news: my rear brake disc arrived from China today

And it fits! Sweet. This is the caliper I'm considering:

It's from a quad, I think a Honda. I like the look of the line coming in the side, and a twin-piston setup at the rear will help make up for the feeble parts out front  :rolleyes:.
Bad news: I can't get into postimages with my iPad and it's incredibly frustrating and difficult to post pictures on my iPhone! You wouldn't believe how long it took to post those two pics above, and the cussing involved  :bang:
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

I've been looking at seats a lot, and I keep thinking about this bike:

SR500 built for Billy Joel by Mick Woolaway. I really like the seat and upturned rear frame look. I have my eye on that front fender as well...

I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

I like the seat on that SR.

... and, an SR500 just won the Bol d'Oregon 6hr Endurance.

Coincidence or kismet?
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A