Main Menu

1975 RD350B

Started by 85RZwade, May 17, 2021, 01:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodneya

Quote from: 85RZwade on October 06, 2021, 10:59:37 PM
Good news: my rear brake disc arrived from China today

Did that come direct in the mail?
I have had a few things from china recently that were mailed via England.

85RZwade

Nothing direct about it! Orange connex got it as far as California, then FedEx brought it to the Chehalis post office, and our smiling U.S. mail carrier brought it to me at work.
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

found this in a shed while looking for fencing material, and I think I kinda like it for the RD:

I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

My reservation is that, other than being a 46-year-old motorcycle to begin with, nothing is really retro about it in my eyes and I wonder if the taillight will look out of place. And to be clear, it's not an expensive modern reproduction of an old automotive light; it's a real, old, rusty automotive taillight. I think if I clean it up, blast & repaint the housing and maybe replace the sockets it'll be pretty neat.
I post waayyy too much

Striker1423

I like it, and think that fits in with the cafe theme better IMO than most little beady led stop lights you see on many builds.

85RZwade

Thanks, my man! The taillight is kinda in limbo; I asked she-who-actually-inherited-the-taillight-from-her-grandfather  :clint: if it was OK to stick it on a project bike and she said: maybe.  :bang: All together now, please turn to page 9 of the husband handbook, halfway down the page: It is Sometimes Better to Apologize Than to Ask Permission.
In other news, I gave $$ to Buchanan today, and my rear wheel spokes should ship  :ups: in a day or two. Getting closer to having wheels under this bad motor scooter.  :burnout:
I post waayyy too much

pidjones

I think you should re-read that line. It reads "Sometimes it is EASIER to ask Forgiveness than Permission." Plus preparation of appropriate Sorry Gifts and Potential Defensive Retreat locations is wise. Consider such staements as "Gramps would be so proud". BTW, dont blast and repaint - clean and clear coat to maintain the well-earned patina.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

85RZwade

I think you're right! Good advice  :like:
I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

Hmmm Lets look at this, did she know where it was? when she sees how good it looks all will be well. :help:

85RZwade

She knew nothing of its existence before I opened my pie hole. Now I don't want to invest any time cleaning it up if it turns out I just have to put it back in the drawer  :whatever:
I'm taking my youngest son hunting this weekend, so there will be no project progress for a few days. Again,  :whatever:
I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

Every day we still continue to learn, well maybe she will forget about again :whistle:
I like the direction your build is heading.

teazer

I would find a way to clean and mount that lamp on a small wooden stand to act as a night light at home, so your wife can remember her ancestors.

An RD is totally the wrong style bike to mount that rather nice prior period piece IMHO.

For something more period, maybe a Lucas tail lamp from a similar year might be whimsical enough and an nice reminder that Lucas was known as the prince of darkness and many people see motorcycles in general and two strokes in particular that way.

85RZwade

Had the house to myself last night, so I went to the barn. Waiting on steering head bearings, front axle spacers and the lacing of the rear wheel to get wheels under this thing, so I was going to assemble the engine. Took some time to FIND the cases, and not all is well with them:

OK, well, the upper half looks fine. It't the lower that makes me  :omg:

I think I threw up a little bit in my mouth. Once again, my long-term storage procedures have proven to be lacking. How does the hivemind suggest I address this transgression?
I post waayyy too much

Striker1423

Quote from: 85RZwade on October 23, 2021, 10:37:16 AM
I think I threw up a little bit in my mouth. Once again, my long-term storage procedures have proven to be lacking. How does the hivemind suggest I address this transgression?

Scotchbrite pad and oil, followed by a scrub with dawn dish soap and a good rinse. Wipe the bearing surface down with 2t and rip it.

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much