News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

1975 RD350B

Started by 85RZwade, May 17, 2021, 01:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

Striker, it's made for an SR500, but the common concensus is that it's easy to modify for the RD. We're going to find out! Can't be worse than fitting an FZ swingarm to an RZ350, right?
Thanks Mark, I agree!
I post waayyy too much

Kawtriplefreak

I am quite envious... :righteous: :righteous:

Czakky

I think that could work on my bike. Damnit!

rodneya

Quote from: 85RZwade on June 04, 2021, 03:54:01 PM
Striker, it's made for an SR500, but the common concensus is that it's easy to modify for the RD. We're going to find out! Can't be worse than fitting an FZ swingarm to an RZ350, right?
Thanks Mark, I agree!

Did you get the tube that goes in the pivot as well?

85RZwade

No tube, Rodney. It came with the axle and chain adjuster hardware and there are needle bearings installed in the pivot. I figure I'll try the RD and if that doesn't work, ah...punt? Maybe try an SR piece.
I post waayyy too much

rodneya

This was some info I got from Retard a while back when I was thinking of getting a Motolanna arm.

I can tell you for sure you will need a pivot spacer from an SR500/XT/TT, or IT400 (the part number crosses over to it)
The spacer will be too long though, so I trimmed it to about .010"-.015 longer than the width of the arm so it wouldn't bind. I then used the RD dust caps and maybe even the swingarm shims to dial it in.
Ideally it would be great to find a pivot spacer with the correct width, and correct OD for the Torrington bearings in the swingarm.  The pivot spacer is hardened and can be difficult to cut/face to the correct length.

You will also need to make two spacers, ~.250" wide, 16mm ID (same as the pivot bolt, this is from memory but I will confirm) to center the swingarm and take up the extra space between it and the frame.  Here you can see the spacer and dust cap on one side:

85RZwade

That's great information, thanks! Sounds like the RD spacer won't work, the SR spacer will be wider than the frame and the swingarm will be narrower. I'd check these things, but I left it at work because I was on the RZ yesterday; I may have to run in to town this morning as the suspense is killing me.
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

More goodies arrived today. I may have to put this thing together!
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

Clutch plates arrived Monday, Partzilla is waiting for a few back orders to fill before shipping, Economy stuff should be here tomorrow, and this arrived from the Independent Kingdom of Treatland yesterday:

I'm going to assemble this project engine first, then chassis. I think it's going to be a nice one :cool:
I post waayyy too much

Striker1423

I LOVE new parts. I love building said parts into a bike. However, I have to take multiple frustration breaks or I get cranky. Looking forward to this one!

85RZwade

Just checked the status of my Partzilla order; the clutch springs should be available today. The same springs I ordered from Economy. I should not shop late at night.
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

Economy order arrived today: wiring harness, some seals, clutch holding tool, the aforementioned springs...
Couldn't help assembling the clutch on the bench. RD basket, RZ inner hub (same as RD400), friction, steel, friction, steel, etc. RD400 pressure plate that I bought with the transmission, springs, screws...wait. There's another friction plate on the bench just like the 400 one on the stack. I pulled out the RD350 plate: definitely different. Fetched an RZ350 plate: different. What the actual!?! How do I have two RD400 pressure plates? Why did I buy one from the other side of the continent if I had one? It's important to note here that I've never owned an RD400, so there's no reason for having one. I guess I'll never know...

Ok, I know. About this time, I see on the bench with the clutch stack my 350LC crank, transmission...clutch. A slow trip to CMSNL (hillbilly Internet) confirmed that the LC uses the same pressure plate as the RD400, 1A0-16351-00. Same inner hub as the 400 and RZ350, too. Love that parts-bin engineering!
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

Looks like I have found a front end for this bike...picking up the donor Saturday, and dgorms put me on the trail of an XS650 wheel with aluminum rim on Craigslist. :burnout:
I post waayyy too much

soonerbillz

85RZwade

This is the clutch pressure plate situation I was prattling on about earlier:

The RZ plate has the rectangular hole in the center, the LC and RD400 are the same and what's left is  RD350.
I post waayyy too much