Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

1975 RD350B

Started by 85RZwade, May 17, 2021, 01:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

I get it. I tried, truly tried to buy a 4-piston...but $30 for over-the-top stupid braking was irresistible
I post waayyy too much

Striker1423

Stoppies are in your future. Make sure the tank doesn't flop off and add to it's character anymore! :haw:

But seriously, this thing is gonna be epic.

m in sc

the only reason i haven't used one was 1 it didn't fit on one bike, the other was weight. I'll use em eventually.  :devil:

dgorms

Wade.....Don't be so, uh.... "frugal"!...........................D :whistle:
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

85RZwade

Stoppies? Yes, maybe. I do enjoy them on the KTM! And I prefer the word thrifty, Dennis. Actually, I've been referring to this as a TL1000S caliper, but it's come to my attention that the R model used the 6-pot front binders. I learned this when the EBC pads I bought clearly weren't right, and subsequent research showed my late-night eBay error. Does anybody need a set of organic FA158s?
I post waayyy too much

teazer

6 pistons is a lot for a little/light bike but nothing exceeds like excess or so I hear.

Going back to the axle conundrum for a moment, have you looked at a stock OEM axle?  They have a flange on one side and threaded sleeve at the other end.  That's how they are located laterally.  I'd see if it's possible to get suitable bearings to fit the OEM axle or machine that rod to take threaded end cap spacers on both ends.

85RZwade

I wish I had the spacers started to photograph, but I'll try the 1000 words approach for now! I bought an OEM GSX-R axle, which provided education but isn't directly useful to me, as it is 25mm O.D., which is very nearly the O.D. of the bearings in the hub. Not a suitable application for needle bearings. TDR hub uses a 15mm axle, and I found a suitable axle in my hoard with a flanged head and a castle nut. The current plan is to make spacers out of the aluminum bar stock pictured above, each of which will be clamped in a fork leg and extend from the outside edge of the fork leg to the inner bearing race. The axle and castle nut will live completely inside the spacers and only be visible from the left and right ends, clamping the spacers to the wheel. I believe I'll need to measure from the fork leg to the rim to center the wheel, unless I A) come up with something like the aforementioned snap ring scheme, or B) buy bigger bar stock and create a flange on at least one spacer like Suzuki did. Trusting the fork pinch bolts concerns me some, but maybe I'd feel better if I safety wired 'em. Any suggestions welcome and appreciated!
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

Cut the adapters you make (on one side long ways) so they pinch down on the axle when you tighten the lower fork clamps and you'll be fine.  :gentleman:

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

The perfect compliment to the TDR 18-inch front rim was on eBay: a gold D.I.D. 2.50x18 36-hole beauty, allegedly an HRC part! Regrettably, it was $245, plus about $40 shipping from the Netherlands and possibly import duties. I couldn't pull the trigger and was looking for other options...and the auction abruptly ended. It came back, nearly identical, but now the rim is silver   :bang:
Seriously considering a move to Excel, color match be damned. Chaparral has an Excel of the appropriate size on eBay, but there's no mention of spoke count. Chaparral doesn't accept questions regarding their auction items! Maybe I'll call them Tuesday; that should be successful  :shocked:
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

Easy Off oven cleaner will take the old gold ano off easily
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

Ain't no way I'm spraying over cleaner on that rim! Gotta be a solution to this problem. Remember this?:

GT750 at a local shop, my man Bill can't get it to fire on #1 cylinder. No matter to me, I stopped in today and noticed it's got a D.I.D 3.00x18 36-hole gold rim on the back! Damn, Gina! There's a 130-something Pirelli on there, and it looks good. No, I can't buy the rim, but maybe a 3.00x18 might be easier to find? Dramatic renewal of purpose!
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

I like your style, kid.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Striker1423

RustyRD

I spy a Z1-R in the background, maybe a TC , or clone. Either way its there.