dgorms

rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

dgorms

rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

85RZwade

Yes, I was told it was a real TC. Nice, clean bike
I post waayyy too much

teazer

Mike's XS sells a 2.5" rim, so I bought one because I couldn't find a 3.00 for an upcoming TZ250 project.  That said I slipped a pair of gold DID rims onto the Phat Trakka when I built it, and the rear is 3.0 x 18 x 36 and came off a TZ350 rear wheel I had lying around.  That's a DID drop center rim and Buchanans were able to supply stainless spokes to match the rim and hub.  Front is a matching 2.15 x 18 IIRC and both are 36 holes.

I'd sell you the Phat Trakka but that's an expensive way to buy rims..... :whistle:

What's the story with that GT750 in your earlier post?  It looks interesting. And it has a set of Bassani exhausts on it..

85RZwade

I just made an offer on a YZ490 wheel with a gold 2.50 18 with 36 spokes. It's going to need to be anodized again, but I think I have that solved.
That GT has been at a local shop for a couple of YEARS. The owner of the shop is sick of it and told the owner of the bike to come and get it. He has, he thinks, over 37 hours into it and doesn't know why it "won't fire on the #1 cylinder". He's asked me to try my hand at it twice, but I don't have any interest if it's not mine. It's got some nice bits on it, like the rims. The rear is the above mentioned DID 3.00, but the front had no markings. It's probably a 2.15, also gold and a different design than the rear.
I post waayyy too much

Striker1423

Quote from: 85RZwade on September 10, 2021, 12:33:57 AM
I just made an offer on a YZ490 wheel with a gold 2.50 18 with 36 spokes. It's going to need to be anodized again, but I think I have that solved.
That GT has been at a local shop for a couple of YEARS. The owner of the shop is sick of it and told the owner of the bike to come and get it. He has, he thinks, over 37 hours into it and doesn't know why it "won't fire on the #1 cylinder". He's asked me to try my hand at it twice, but I don't have any interest if it's not mine. It's got some nice bits on it, like the rims. The rear is the above mentioned DID 3.00, but the front had no markings. It's probably a 2.15, also gold and a different design than the rear.
I'd buy it if it wasn't a huge expense. You could have the rim too lol

teazer

Quote from: 85RZwade on September 10, 2021, 12:33:57 AM

Pity it's so far from here.  They are big and heavy but really simple design.  Can't be too hard to work out what's wrong with it.  Difference is that some of us have piles of parts and experience with old bikes and many mechanics don't have the time or the parts to work on old stuff.

Good that you found a source for the rim you want.

85RZwade

Thanks guys! The YZ wheel is mine; anybody need or want a YZ490 hub?
I put a dial indicator on the TDR250 front rotor this morning:

Will I be able to feel.005"?
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

I'm pretty thrifty, I can't see why I would've replaced it unless it was annoying
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

teazer

There is a small amount of free play between the aluminum carrier and the iron disk.  It might straighten up in use and if not, it isn't likely to be a problem.

85RZwade

I decided to play it safe and ordered new EBC discs, front and rear, as well as pads for the 6-pot.
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

So, I've jumped back here from a discussion I started about Tarozzis elsewhere seeking wisdom. That query (I used it in a sentence) yielded some great and appealing ideas that got me thinking outside of the box. Jim provided links to a couple of fantastic upper triple clamps, which led me back to Cognito moto, and another great bolt-on solution for installing fat bars on this ride. It's fun buying cool parts, but a night's sleep has brought me back to the ideal of using what I have (read: already paid for). Thought about Rodney's suggestion of welding blocks to the underside of the triple clamp and removed said clamp to see what's there:

That's the aluminum bar stock I'm using to make wheel spacers. I have two threaded holes that I imagine located the Suzuki clip-ons, and two threaded towers for the ignition switch. This morning's brainstorm is to cut those towers down to the same plane as the clip-on holes and use the four holes to bolt a plate to the bottom of the clamp. A slice of the bar stock would be sandwiched between the plate and upper triple clamp at each handlebar clamp location, and I'll drill holes through the clamp-bar stock-plate assembly to mount fat bar clamps. I think that'll be a solid installation without hiring a TIG welder (no, I still don't own one  :sad:), and the plate can be an attachment point for the cute little tachometer I bought (see: "It's fun buying cool parts" above) cable guides, etc. Fat bar clamps are plentiful on the 'bay, from stupid cheap up to not terribly expensive, so I'm forging ahead with fat bars!
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

that will definitely work.  nice clean solution as well.   :gentleman:

85RZwade

:celebrate: awesome, I'll put a check mark next to that plan. Ordered mounts, 'bars and grips today  :Clown:
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

Headlight brackets and THIS arrived today:

Gold, 36 spokes, 2.50x18 D.I.D...wearing a paddle tire!
I post waayyy too much