click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

1975 RD350B

Started by 85RZwade, May 17, 2021, 01:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

85RZwade

Just arrived from Greece:

One TDR sprocket carrier. So close to having a complete rear wheel!
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

We're all in our places with bright, shiny faces. RD400 transmission in place with new bearings and seals, cohabitating with rebuilt crank. Cannot find any suitable sealant on the premises, so the top case has to wait...and I SO wanted to put the pistons and cylinders on today  :sad:
Handed the TDR hub, Tagasako rim and Buchanan spokes off to my man Denny last night for truing. We've been trying to get together for weeks to do the wheel together, but he keeps taking on weekend shifts...something about not wanting to eat cat food when he retires? Anyway it'll get done and I can get wheels under this thing; new tubes and rim strips arrived today, along with brass for the PWKs and extra sparking bolts (Treatland 15% sale). Steering head bearings from All Balls are here, so I'm rapidly running out of excuses!
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

Oh, and I am selling my DGs; they just don't move me. I am in love with the bare steel, welded-cone design, like:

These appear to exist in pictures only, as the place in Hungary that offered them is seemingly no more. I also like:

See a pattern? The Fukais are cheating, as I don't think they offer a set for the air-cooled RD. Also digging the Jemco product, but not what I want for this bike. Kenny might make a set, but he's having some setbacks right now, and Jolly Motos are a grand. What am I missing guys, is there anything else?

I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

Wade, first of all , your a good sport. :bacon:  I submit for your consideration the Spec2 F1 pipes.

rodneya

Give Roger Allen at Wicked motorsports a call. His website sucks, but he makes RD pipes

85RZwade

Better to call him? I sent an email earlier this week; no answer yet.
I post waayyy too much

rodneya

Pity this guy does not live in North America, although the banshee guys still buy from him.
Pieter Verhoef, lives in cape Town South Africa
Pretty sure he could make a killer pipe for an RD if he could get a bike for measurements. His welding is just amazing.

85RZwade

Absolutely beautiful!
I post waayyy too much

Czakky

You want stingers, I'll show you stingers! The skills required just to lay those out is amazing.

85RZwade

:sad: It could have gone better  :sad:
Toiled all day yesterday with chores and wrapping Christmas presents, so I felt I'd earned some time to work on the RD today. Gotta get wheels under this thing, so I returned to the front wheel spacers that had me stymied. I had borrowed a drill bit just under 15mm from work, having decided to just drill the thing out and then bore it to a nice, snug fit on the axle. Many chips later:

And there was much swearing. The end nearest the headstock is way off center and not close enough for axle work  :'(
Close enough for a spacer inside the triple clamp, though, so I lopped that fcuker off and trimmed it to length to fit between my top triple clamp and the plate I made for the underside of the clamp:

It had warmed up to 36 degrees and I hadn't made a fire in the barn woodstove, so my nose and toes were cold. I'll make the other triple clamp spacer another day, and I still have plenty of aluminum bar stock for front wheel spacers...but I think it's time to suck it up and hire a real machinist to bore them. My little lathe is just not accurate enough for this.

I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

In other news, the rear wheel is laced and trued; I just need to trim the ends of some spokes yet. The swingarm is ready to go in, then I can work on rear wheel spacers, a caliper hanger and chain alignment.
As much as I love Mark's Speed of Cheese rearsets, I am looking at making my own out of FZ600 parts that I have, like I did for the Elsie project. New seals, bushings, O-rings and a manual are on the way for the GSX-R forks. Still agonizing over seat options; I really like the Texavina, but wonder if I could have one made locally on the stock seat base with a bit smaller hump for the same or less $$.
I post waayyy too much

rodneya

What size is the axle?
I bought some spacers from Lowbrow customs. Quite a few choices for diameter and widths.
I just cut the closest size pieces to correct length on a lathe.

85RZwade

I'm using a 15mm axle, same as the TDR, but the GSX-R used a 25mm axle. My spacers are more than 3" long, clamped by the fork legs, and extend from the wheel bearing out to the outside edge of the fork leg. If I had something assembled, I'd give you a picture. It's coming soon.
I post waayyy too much

rodneya