News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Well... Crap. Wiring confusion.

Started by Striker1423, May 22, 2021, 09:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

I knew somewhere along the line I'd forget something.

The relay for the vape... the brown wire is what again? It looks like a ground with the loop on the end. Anyways I can review chucks post on that.

The rest of the wiring harness. The plugs I remember were for the old reg/rectifier. But.. the yellow wire on the new harness is a male and so is the rear light wire. I'm assuming the maker of the harness screwed up?

I don't remember if I need the green/yellow wire, or the red/yellow. And there's a random ground hanging out. Sweet.

Also, the long connector for the turn signals. I have them connected but the colors don't make sense to me. *Audible Sigh*

m in sc

Greaser Greg

Stock stoplight lead on my 71 is yellow male.  Green goes to the rear stop switch and changes to yellow for light. 
Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

Striker1423

Well the new harness is built wrong. I looked at my old harness and figured out what was going on. It's missing a ground connection, male and female connections are reversed on a few areas too. I sliced my hand open on the new headlight bucket too. so, all in all, the bike wiring is not going well.

I'm going to have to order a good used harness.

Greaser Greg

I just did all the wires and bypassed the ignition switch with a kill switch and ditched the blinkers. Wasn't that hard with a good crimper and the bullet connector kit and I reused some of the wires and plugs from a janky India harness.  Minimized voltage drop and added a fuse for the lights circuit.  Started on half a kick! I thought about a used harness, but 50 years of oxidation? I ain't got time fa dat! :twocents:
Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

Striker1423

I figured out what went where and how. Turns out I'm just a moron and the harness was fine... Although built a tad different than the original. I also cut the ground off the old harness and soldered it on. Turns out that was a waste of time cause I can't count apparently. Ended up with an extra ground connection under the lamp.  I suppose tackling the wiring after a long day was not a great plan. But! Everything works as it should and looks tons tidier than it ever did.

I will point out, though, that the aftermarket headlamp quasi-fits the RD350 headlight ears. Unless I get creative and beat on the headlight bucket a bit, the light will work great at shining up in the rear windows of passenger cars. lol