Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Oem vs restomod?

Started by soonerbillz, May 24, 2021, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soonerbillz

See so many restomods.  So few oem restoration bikes on the web.
Is this the result of few good oem parts availability or just lazy builders?

Kawtriplefreak

I respect a pure restoration immensely just for the sake of the efforts involved in chasing down or correctly refinishing all OEM parts. I think I would be less likely to ride one that is perfect. Improvements like chambers, better brakes and reliable ignition components make them a lot more enjoyable for me.. Just my :twocents:

85RZwade

:agree: my feelings exactly.
I post waayyy too much

Striker1423

I don't mind restoring a bike, But, with good and tasteful upgrades that don't detract from the original look.

Prime example. Electronic ignitions over points. Tasteful, more useable power, and they don't detract from the look of the bike.

Seizer

I think you need to consider the condition of the platform before starting the project. My 400 was modified by the PO in such a way that a true "Resto" was impossible. Frame de-tabbed (hacked is a more appropriate term lol), etc.

davedogg

On the CB350's I had I usually tried to keep the as original as possible. But when I got my RD and realized the simple upgrades and gains you can make are almost a no brainer. Now I was lucky enough to get a bunch of period correct pieces for my bike. So that makes me feel cool knowing it's still kind of period correct.
1969 Yamaha L5T Trailmaster,  1973 RD350,  1973 Honda CB350G,  1976 Yamaha RD400,
1983 Honda NU50,  1983 Vespa P200, 1997 Honda Nighthawk,  2012 Moto Guzzi V7

rodneya

I dont think I would call a restomod builder lazy. It often takes way more effort to modify stuff to work than it does to find oem stock replacement parts.
Nut and bolt perfect restorations are more likely to be display bikes and never actually ridden, which seems a huge waste to me.

Striker1423

Quote from: rodneya on May 25, 2021, 10:07:36 AM
I dont think I would call a restomod builder lazy. It often takes way more effort to modify stuff to work than it does to find oem stock replacement parts.
Nut and bolt perfect restorations are more likely to be display bikes and never actually ridden, which seems a huge waste to me.

I agree. My bike is close to nut and bolt minus some obvious stuff... Like the nuts and bolts lol. Old parts are still old and take WAY too much time to fix up. Aside from the paint job and frame powder coat, the rest of the parts were cleaned up and or rattle-canned enough to make them fit. Chrome? Hahahaha... no. At least... not now. It's riding season.

Jspooner

If I found a nice survivor I might consider leaving it alone except for minor mods like lower bars, shorter signals, things like that. My oldest son did that to his 250 and it looks nice, but still sounds, and feels, and looks like stock bike with some subtle mods. Never in a 100 years would I do a nut and bolt resto. In my opinion they both take just as much work to do right. 
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

m in sc

ive restored, correclty, a few. Ive modded many many more.

my thing is: if its a complete restorable bike, dont make it unrestorable down the road. ie detabbing frames, etc.  however, its its kind of  pile as most of mine start as with basically no chance of a complete bike, have at it.

to me restorations are fussy expensive projects and very paint by number rivet counter exercises that really take no mental acuity or creative endeavors.  which, as you might guess, is quite boring. to me at least.

soonerbillz

Some pretty good responses.
I'll accept that my "lazy" was out of turn in ways. That said .. I've seen so many "cafe racer" builds that are indeed horrible cobbed pos builds that deserve the call. On the other hand I've definitely seen restomods that are beautiful and well thought out, crafted by skilled hands.
My current R5 will never be a perfect restoration as it was so far gone when acquired. But I hope to bring it as close to original as possible and not break the bank. My 64 YDS3 is my money pit but I am devoted to restore it to "as new" condition.
My question was more of a statement of my wish to see more bikes restored rather than just brought back to good riders.. of which I'm obviously as quilty as anyone else.

soonerbillz

Quote from: m in sc on May 25, 2021, 01:18:55 PM
ive restored, correclty, a few. Ive modded many many more.

my thing is: if its a complete restorable bike, dont make it unrestorable down the road. ie detabbing frames, etc.  however, its its kind of  pile as most of mine start as with basically no chance of a complete bike, have at it.

to me restorations are fussy expensive projects and very paint by number rivet counter exercises that really take no mental acuity or creative endeavors.  which, as you might guess, is quite boring. to me at least.

While I can understand your thoughts... I must disagree with this statement.
True restorations of serious endeavor are not for the weak or ignorant.  The tremendous amount of research in my quest to bring my YDS3 to correct original condition is breathtaking.  As with so many other bikes models built for many years the very first year model are impossibly different than the ones built afterwards and the amount of changes Yamaha made between early and late 1964 are enormous. So many details to document and the effort to locate and restore specific correct parts can only be done in a meticulous and exacting manner. Not a easy task.
I am into this project by many $$ and years and still yet to see the light of day.   For me at least..it's a delight to see other similar builds knowing what takes to get there.

m in sc

as an engineer, i look at it as just boring work. Been there, done it. there's no imagination involved in following spec sheets all day.  I understand 'puzzle lover' people enjoying the search but meh. and, restored bikes typically get ridden a LOT less than restomods or hacked up cafe bikes in my experience.

I mean, i get preserving history. I'm just not rally that guy unless its a really interesting and rare bike.  I've talked to a LOT of vjmc rivet counters and typically they bore me to tears. and then is usually comes down to costs and resale values, which i have -zero- interest in talking about.  But thats just me. I never said they were weak minded or ignorant. but the work is dull as the back of a butterknife.  :twocents: :patriot:

soonerbillz

You would have loved my EX250 track bike.
Built 100% from boxes of parts.
Homade exhaust, homade fairings and seat and everything else custom made and only engine insides from off the shelf..
A true frankenbike ala Road Warrior style.

Czakky

:clap:
I'm with Mark. Some bikes totally deserve a proper restoration, but I'm not rich, full of free time and have terrible ADD. I work hard when paid but don't enjoy it as a hobby. I'd rather learn even if my tiny Polish brain needs help more than most.
RC30s, bevel head Ducati's, any air cooled Yamaha 2t racers! Metralla's, Velocette, Manx, V7 Sports. A few are just too right... I can probably keep going. Keep those stock and restored.