Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

HPI and LED HL- update

Started by m in sc, July 18, 2022, 02:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

As a quick blip, figured id mention this.

The lightweight RD runs an HPI on all AC lighting, I had an older LED setup int he HL whish worked 'ok', but this weekend had to change the memory battery in the speedometer, and to get that off i have to pull the HL ring. I figured id try a diffeent LED bulb as the old one was 'ok' so i put in the auxito one i use on pretty much everything else, and it sems more 'stable' (not as sever a pulse at idle) at lower speeds and takes the ac voltage just fine.
SO, if you are going this way, id suggest one of these to use. just fyi

SoCal250

I just picked up some Auxito LEDs (H4 & H7) for a few bikes. Supposed to be good reliable bulbs based on what I've heard. I believe they were first recommended by Evans(?) or Ed A(?) many years ago on this site. (can't recall now who it was)
Mine will all be DC-powered and no HPI.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Clem710

They should be fine with DC, when u push AC through them, ya takes yer chances.

I did it on an AC gy6 just to see. It didnt last long, may have popped immediately.

I'm sure it was the cheapest one on ebay at the time so ymmv

m in sc

true., i fried one or 2 other ones years ago wac.. almost instantly, landed on the one i had. figured id try the auxito on as ai have a few spares... and it seems ok to redline. so far.  :toot:

Clem710

I dont remember the specifics but I think leds dont have that much inherent reverse voltage tolerance as compared to a normal diode so if theres not a circuit in front of it, it may not do the half wave thing too good by itself.

Mine was cheap, I think I actually got two, not sure why I didnt try the second or cut the first one apart. 

m in sc

some of them have better circuitry inside the housing, thats for damn sure.

this is the exact reason i posted this though.  :twocents:

Hawaii-Mike

I have no experience with HPI.  Auxito headlight bulbs, I do have experience with them.  They are the best LED bulbs I've tried.  They are bright and inexpensive, typically around $17 apiece.

ajb

Thanks, very useful.

I have a H4 Auxito and some rear LED bulbs to put into my RD400 with HPI, running DC with a battery.  That it, when I can get a decent spark out of it.  Got the correct 2 lead coil coming from Treatland as we speak.  Fingers crossed.