News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Rd400 wont shift gear

Started by rd400greenhorn, May 30, 2021, 11:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400greenhorn

Yes so, took it for a spin and the clutch was Very Hard to pull so had the clutch adjust cover off and went up Till 3 gear i think, it had a Hard time shifting.
Then the screw came off  the clutch adjuster and No more shifting. Ive fixed the adjuster but the damn bike wont get into neutral or Any other gear Its stuck in 1? I think

What can i do and Any suggestions to what happended?
Total restored bike

1976RD400C

Will it shift with the bike shut off and rocking back and forth?
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

rd400greenhorn

Nope.
Cant get it out of gear 🤷‍♂️

Striker1423

Stuck shift and hard clutch? Clutch push rod may be bent. If that holds the clutch open your bike won't rock and shift. That or something internally is broke. Bits and bobs get lodged and cause trouble.

Jspooner

"Total restored bike"

Does that mean you had the engine split and apart and you reassembled? If so there could be multiple things wrong. But sounds to me that a shift fork or two are not in the proper place. It I think you'll need to split the engine and investigate before you ruin something.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

rd400greenhorn

Yes engine is a total rebuild.
But I had it running and shifting somewhat good but after adjustinf and playing with the clutch cable things started to go south.
As if the clutch wont engage proper, maybe investigate on the clutch side before i start thinking of the i possible.. Removing the engine  :smiley:

1976RD400C

Quote from: rd400greenhorn on May 30, 2021, 02:56:40 PM
Yes engine is a total rebuild.
But I had it running and shifting somewhat good but after adjustinf and playing with the clutch cable things started to go south.
As if the clutch wont engage proper, maybe investigate on the clutch side before i start thinking of the i possible.. Removing the engine  :smiley:

Yes, and check out the shift shaft and the bracket that rotates the shift drum for problems.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

rd400greenhorn

Forgot to tell
The clutch actuator was busted where it meets the push rod, not sure how but something wrong. It was brand new

Jspooner

Even if the clutch is not disengaging properly it will still shift properly. It will just be difficult to find neutral unless the engine is turned off.

rd400greenhorn

Oh man...would hate Taking the engine out and apart. Its literlly done 10km, 6 miles. :guinness:

Jspooner

For starters do as 1976RD400C says.

rd400greenhorn

Allright. Have removed the engine cover and first the circlip that holds the plastic wheel was off..

Removing the clutch Nothing looks out of the normal i think.

I believe the shift shaft in this engine was from a xs 400, early model, should be fine?
Not sure how i can test from here, maybe relocate the clutch and try shifting

rd400greenhorn

So.. Removed the shifter fork and it was Very loose in the spring
Had a spare and put it together but not much improvement.just pushibg the bike back and forth.
I fear its the shifter drum Which a total engine tear down.., 🙄🙄

rd400greenhorn

Seriously.. Iam not in the mood for Taking everything apart and engine cases to change the gear drum, but it seems like thats to fault. It wont shift, unless i give it a little help on the drum when the cover is off

rodneya

Do you have a magnetic drain plug. They can be too long and make contact with parts inside.