This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Rd400 wont shift gear

Started by rd400greenhorn, May 30, 2021, 11:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400greenhorn

So, no original drain plug.
Took the engine apart. Wierd - there was this piece of Bent metal sitting behind the oil cover?
Besides that everything looked fine No metal shawings or Any thing.

I removed the shift drum and compared it to Extra spare parts rd400.
Is it the right drum? They are pretty different...
The one i removed from the rebuild engine is the one on the left!

rodneya

cant tell the size of the mangled washer, but it could be from behind the circlip that holds the tach drive gear on (plastic gear you mentioned came off)

1976RD400C

FYI   You can assemble the trans and finger tighten the clutch to hold everything in place in just the lower case and shift away and check everything before installing the top case piece on.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

rd400greenhorn

Thats a good tip, Thanks :)

rd400greenhorn

Ahhh yes i believe your right. There is a washer behind the circlip. Awsome will find replacement tomorrow

rd400greenhorn

I actually suspect that maybe the shift drum i put in the engine is a Rd350 ac model? When dinding pictures on ebay they look similar with the size of holes

rodneya

Pretty sure there was an old thread that mentioned  the 350 drum will work with 400 trans

Jspooner

Quote from: rodneya on May 31, 2021, 02:35:27 PM
Pretty sure there was an old thread that mentioned  the 350 drum will work with 400 trans

Yes it works.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

rd400greenhorn

Ah okay. Damn... Hmm.. Not sure what i can be then but Will try tomorrow with a different drum and dry run some shifting before doing anything Else

rodneya

Just remember that you will have to turn the sprocket a little by hand while shifting when you test or it will not shift.

rd400greenhorn

Allright. Been at it all day not sure what to think. I have put transmission in and shifted through the gears, but how easy should it be, being and old bike? I am shifting just lower engine case with Nothing but gears in the casing.

rd400greenhorn

Okay, gears are not working as they should
No were near shifting consistent just crap.
I have narrowed it down to believe Its the forks and or the axles they run on and the pins that run on the drum grooves.
Seems like those pins would benefit from having springs behind Them so they follow the grove 100 procent, Its as if they have a tendency to get stuck... No real damage to the drum either..

rodneya

What do your forks look like? Is there wear on the outsides of the points?

rd400greenhorn

Only pictures i got now. I have several forks but these for one

1976RD400C

Does the shift drum rotate for every shift and detent itself without the shift forks engaged to it?
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350