News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Rd400 wont shift gear

Started by rd400greenhorn, May 30, 2021, 11:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

So, it was shifting fine and then suddenly stopped? The only damaged part I see was the rather mangled part you pulled out from behind the clutch cover. That shouldn't be there, hence its the most logical. 

Either A: That part was the cause for concern and all is well (from the pictures the part wear looks fine). or B: The forks and pins are assembled on the drum grooves incorrectly.  It is entirely possible to do so. I checked mine on re-assembly and had a stuck shifter. I had a fork on the wrong groove in the drum.

If the drum rotates free and you verify the shift fork positions then my money is on that mangled piece of metal binding your shift mechanism up.

rd400greenhorn

Well not sure if it shifted fine, it shifted but needed force.
The manglede piece i believe is a shim from the tacho drive gear, but your right,gonna check that. But iam almost 110 procent sure the forks are in correctly but I will check again Thanks

rd400greenhorn

Yeah so if i only have the drum in and turn that it turns fine and sits everyt time in the plunger? That goes from undernearh the engine case up in the drum

1976RD400C

Now post a pic of it all assembled in the lower case.    :pop:
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

rd400greenhorn

rd400greenhorn

Hmm another observation
Did a dry shifting without gears and even though i held the forks up, they seem to get stuck on the drum preventing the drum to spin freely into each gear...

rd400greenhorn

rd400greenhorn

Oh well moved on and put gears in, tried a different drum and it shifts but not consistent.
Espcially 1 and 2 gear can be tricky at times...

And would a chemical cleaning of the gears do Them good? Just thought maybe it would shift easier, move Between the gears easier?

I need a new gearbox 😂

rodneya

Do you have any oil on there? Needs to be oiled a bit.
Try with the gears in, a little oil and rocking the sprocket back and forward wile trying to shift.

rd400greenhorn

I have done just that and it shifts but not as consistent as I would want it to. And sometimes 1 and 2 gear can be difficult.
Other times it shifts pretty solid.

Not good enough for assemble, it needs to be right.

scully

Who put it together last time ????? And where did that washer pass through ? You usually don't crunch one piece of steel without it affecting another !

rd400greenhorn

I did!.
Everything looks fine but the lock washer that was used was to big, so it did not hold for long.
That problem is solved now with new shim and correct lock washer.

I Will try to add clutch or pipe to tighten the clutch drive in so when shifting it Will be more like normal condition. Fingers crossed it Will be even better

rd400greenhorn

So got the bike back up running, it appears to shift nicely. Only did until 3 gear, no gear on so gotta take it slow
Will do proper test tomorrow i Hope. When i got back it leasked heacily out of the seal where the push rod for clutch goes..
I Hope this can be changed without Taking cases apart. It does not sit in Any reces that i know

Jspooner

Yes you can change it without splitting the cases.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"