News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Welding on a soda blaster

Started by rodneya, June 11, 2021, 12:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodneya

I just bought a soda blaster. Its the local version of harbour freight, and you have to take the entire feed line out of the tank to fill it.
newer versions have a threaded bung on the side for filling.
I want to weld a bung on, but I cant fin any info about about welding and bicarbonate of soda. Do I just blow out all the powder and weld away?

Striker1423

If drying it is possible, I'd wash it out. Old grist mills would routinely blow up due to the dust in the air and stray sparks. 

m in sc

clear it all out and have at it. or use a bulkhead  or flanged fitting.  .02

Gil Gallad

i'd wash it out first. soda dissolves in water pretty easily. and anyway, if you're going to drill it to weld a flange to it your going to have to wash it out anyway  :haw:
cheers, gil.

747drvr

Quote from: Gil Gallad on June 14, 2021, 05:54:11 PM
i'd wash it out first. soda dissolves in water pretty easily. and anyway, if you're going to drill it to weld a flange to it your going to have to wash it out anyway  :haw:
cheers, gil.
east midlands ???  beautiful place !!  you ever see any Kalitta air 747s flying in there ?? i fly in frequently. cant wait for covid to be lifted, and look for some bike clubs .  :vroom: :vroom:

Gil Gallad

it's lovelier when the sun comes out though  :laugh:
i live 12 miles from east mids airport and donnington racetrack, thankfully not usually on any of the flightpaths. unfortunately i wouldn't know a kalitta 747 if i fell over one. yes, there are plenty of bike clubs round here, outlaw and otherwise  :wink:
cheers, gil.

SoCal250

every NHRA fan knows a Kalitta Air 747 :wink:
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

IR8D8R

I wouldn't worry about welding on a soda blaster. Soda is used in fire extinguishers. When fresh it flows really well in a funnel so it shouldn't be a hardship to use the top to load. I can see why you might want a separate bung. My blaster feeds from the bottom and has a top fill so I don't have that problem. I have also used it with fine crushed coral sand from aquarium supply stores online. That works much better than soda but it doesn't rinse off the same way. The coral is less erosive than silica sand or glass.

Soda blasting in general is pretty messy. If you don't have a cabinet it's nasty and I'd recommend a blasting hood and respirator. The fine powder gets everywhere and it takes a lot of blasting to do anything other than remove surface dirt.

Using soda in your yard will kill vegetation. Yeah you can wash it down but the runoff is very saline. If you have a standard blasting cabinet you'll probably have to tape it up. Learn to like the taste of bicarb.

IR8D8R

paul1478

On the bright side, no heartburn...
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

747drvr

Quote from: SoCal250 on June 21, 2021, 08:45:44 PM
every NHRA fan knows a Kalitta Air 747 :wink:
Yep  Connie has a whole fleet of them. Along with boeing 777s and 767s. Good man to work for.   :cool: :cool:

50gary

Does Tim Potts still work there?  He worked in Oscoda Mi. doing the conversions from Passenger to freight.
   Nice guy and smart.   We used to race karts and he did likewise.
  Cheers, 50gary