Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

VR 166 voltage regulator install

Started by Kawtriplefreak, June 11, 2021, 08:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kawtriplefreak

Thanks M in SC and Frank B for the guidance and M in SC for putting up the diagram. All that's left is put the battery back in and it will be ready to test. $20 for the regulator from NAPA. About $10 in connectors and heat shrink from Harbor Freight.

85RZwade

So, I feel like I missed the first part of the story and was out of the room for the middle part. I see that regulator is commonly available and inexpensive, but is there another reason to use it? I mean, besides the obvious good looks?
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

non mechanical and takes less load.

Evans Ward

Looks a lot like the original one I had on my 1970 Buick GS455. Very clean installation Tim!  :clap:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

Kawtriplefreak

My apologies Wade. The beginning of the story is I put a set of alternator brushes on the RD right before Deals Gap and a new battery in. The charging system works but would sometimes overcharge with no lights on and sometimes fail to keep up at idle pulling up to an intersection at idle the turn signals wouldn't flash unless you blip the throttle. I have the NAPA turn signal flasher installed as well that was recommended on the forum as a replacement. So Mark told me to try this regulator.

Kawtriplefreak

Thanks Evans
Of course the side cover doesn't go back on so I have to depaint another place and drill another hole. Later today or tomorrow...

Kawtriplefreak

Regulator relocated and wiring cleaned up. Under seat wiring cleaned up. Test ride complete. Works great. 14.4 with all lights on and turn signals. Drops to 12.5 at idle.
Thanks again M in SC. :patriot: :patriot:

JB Weld

Looks good! Where can a guy find the wiring info?

m in sc

JB Weld

Thanks Mark! Not using my resources properly lately....