News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

What front end would you use?

Started by 85RZwade, June 12, 2021, 10:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

If you were replacing the entire front end of your RD350, what would you use? Qualifiers:
You need everything: clamps, forks, wheel, brake
You prefer a conventional fork (not USD)
You want a disc (single)
You want a spoked wheel (not cast), 18" preferred but could be talked into 17"
You'd like adjustments, but not necessary
You'd like to update with newer stuff, hopefully from the 21st century
:pop:
I post waayyy too much

bitzz

Cartridge insert
Quick and easy, looks stock

85RZwade

I should have stipulated: don't have the front end anymore. Hub, forks, triple clamps all sold to members here! Clean slate update.
I post waayyy too much

teazer

RZ350 front end with RD350 wheel or even better FZR400 front end with RD350 wheel slotted between the legs.

Or maybe go for a GSX600 Katana front end with RD350 wheel

pdxjim

R3
CBR250/300R
EX250/300
Duke 390
Etc
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

rodneya

Spoked wheel make it more difficult to find a donor.
The Husky Vitpilen comes with a single disk spoked wheel option. They are not RSU forks, but they are at least from the 21st century.

m in sc

35mm xs front end updated with cartridges and whiz bang stuff added. easiest way to go IMHO

85RZwade

Members have reached out to me with YZF600 and VFR700 front ends, both of which are interesting and compelling, but (and?) I still need a wheel. I like the look the general look and idea of the Continental GT front end, but I don't know anything about the quality, performance or availability of it.
I post waayyy too much

sav0r

If I had to do it again I'd go with an FZR front end, which is what I did the first time. 38mm tubes, easy to drop in cartridge emulators, easy to run bigger brakes, and FZR's grow on trees it seems so it can be done dirt cheap. It does however take some messing around.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

busa1300

Probably late on this...
If it was me...
I would find the front end from a mid 90's Honda CB400 NC36

Or If you really wanted all Yamaha
Use a TZR250 1KT complete front end, with a TDR 18 inch wire front wheel
RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared

pdxjim

FZR600/early R6 would be easier to source, and I know a guy has a set of TDR wheels and a TDR steel swingarm taking up space in his garage.

You'd want to lace proper rims on the TDR hubs which is where it gets expensive

Cast wheels would cure a lot of headaches
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

I've been ruminating on this all week. I obtained a '97 GSX-R600 front end (thank you Dennis!) which fits in the RD frame very nicely, thank you, but it's 25mm axle sent me to the Cognito Moto website for a severe case of sticker shock. Their hub solution is awesome and tempting, but I just can't put $900 into one wheel. Back to the CB550 wheels, unless that guy with the TDR wheels can be persuaded to part with them  :undecided:
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

get adapters made to drop the 25mm axle down to a smaller diameter @ the fork leg. did that on the H1 i had with an r1 set of forks.    :twocents: