Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Clutch spring conundrum!

Started by 85RZwade, June 21, 2021, 11:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

In my head this was going to be a long, complicated post with several pictures, but maybe I can pare it down some: IF my RD350LC has a billet clutch basket for a Banshee/RZ and uses the same pressure plate as an RD400, should I assemble it with LC springs or RZ/RD400 springs (they're the same)? They're different lengths: LC=35.1mm, RZ=36.5mm.
I post waayyy too much

Striker1423

How grabby of a clutch do you want? 1mm of difference isn't a lot per se, but its enough to add that extra pressure on the clutch.

rodneya

Id go with the longer ones. a slightly heavier clutch is better than one that slips.
Just replaced the clutch in my banshee based motor after the supposed heavy duty clutch only lasted about 30 hours. Not a hard job, but a pain in the ass to open it up

1976RD400C

You may have to test how hard it is to pull the lever. I've switched out clutch springs by laying the bike right on it's side, with little or no gas in the tank,  and pulling the cover with the oil still in it.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

85RZwade

Unknown spring from a box of RZ350 parts, Vesrah RZ350/RD400 and Yamaha -23138 RZ350/RD400 spring.
The Vesrah and Yamaha springs measure virtually identically at 36.5mm and the unknowns (6) range from 37.9 to 38.3mm. The (presumed) -234L3 springs I took out of the LC ranged from 33.8 to 34.5mm, and new -234L3s measure 35.1mm.
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

"I've switched out clutch springs by laying the bike right on it's side, with little or no gas in the tank,  and pulling the cover with the oil still in it."

I have the luxury of flopping this engine over on the bench, hooking up a cable and trying various spring combinations before even installing the clutch cover. I can use a fish scale and make a chart...it'll be fun, you'll see. Who's with me?!
I post waayyy too much