Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

2023 Motogp Austin race corner worker positions available

Started by Vintagetz, November 13, 2022, 09:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintagetz

This will be the 4th year I have worked the MotoGP race in Austin, they are always looking for corner workers. 

THIS IS A VERY DIFFERENT RACE EXPERIENCE, you will be trackside in the closest proximity to the action than anyone in attendance. 

This is a 4-day commitment,  There is morning and afternoon training on April 13th you can attend either, Friday the 14th starts the actual event.  You have to be at the track by 6 AM every day, and it will end at 5 ish except on race day which ends a little earlier.

There is an application to fill out online, if you are interested PM me or E-mail me, and I will send the link to sign up when they open sign up.

I can help you with info on where to stay, they also have a hotel list that has preferred rates, and they operate a bus to the track from those locations.

You can specify a preference of corners, 1st - 2nd - 3rd choice. You can request to be paired with or work under someone. 

What you get:  Free ticked in case someone comes with you that is not working the race, Hot Breakfast, Box  Lunch, and hot dinner each day (Lunch is delivered trackside and you normally have a choice of 3 different sandwiches). Swag giveaway.

There is no compensation, you have to get to - from the race.  you have to provide your own lodging, there is camping in the worker area at the track and there are bathrooms and hot showers.

There are 3 positions you can work:

Marshall,  Two or 3 man teams, You respond to a crash, retrieve the bike only getting it behind the wall (or bump start if safe), and yes you will get a close-up look and hands-on experience with a Moto-3 Moto-2 and Moto GP bike, you will be trackside as close as anyone can get to the track.

Flagger, 2-person crew, self-explanatory

Rider assist,  Work with an  EMT or Doctor. 2 or 3 person team, two are stretcher bearers, and 1 takes a safety barrier (giant foam block with a red X on it to protect a down rider)  some teams are 2 men, the marshalls handle the barrier.

sav0r

This is a cool opportunity!

I am however amazed that the race isn't bursting with volunteers. To be a Formula 1 marshal it takes years of experience to even be considered.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

teazer

The downside is that you have to arrive early and are out on the track all day.  The upside is that you can't get any closer to the action unless you are riding and being there early means you might see riders and bikes way up close.

I acted as a Marshall at the Australian GP years ago and at Superbike events and it is very rewarding. You are part of the action so to speak and right there at trackside. If I lived closer I'd sign up in an instant.

Vintagetz

Quote from: sav0r on November 14, 2022, 07:47:49 AM
This is a cool opportunity!

I am however amazed that the race isn't bursting with volunteers. To be a Formula 1 marshal it takes years of experience to even be considered.

My work with MotoGP has put me on the list for F1, I was a sector chief, but they now call in zone chief.

I have not yet applied, 100% guaranteed if I work some SCCA or other 4-wheel races.

pdxjim

Where do I sign up?

I have seen some vague references through a Google search, and found a Facebook group about it, but nothing definitive.

A group of us are planning on coming down from Portland and as current and former racers, this would be super fun to do.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Vintagetz

Sign up is not open yet,  I will get an E-mail when they open it.  If you PM me or E-mail me I will send it to you.  If you know you are going to go you should work on reserving any travel / hotels etc.

dammitsparky

Dude I'm good friends with John at ec. I'm local have an Rv and would give a nut to do this.
rd350,rd400 and a few other bikes that need attention