This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD400/PWK28 Throttle cable

Started by DonRZ350, August 31, 2021, 11:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonRZ350

Hey all,

I have a pair of PWK's I want to try on the 400. The inner cable is about 1/4" short and the slide doesn't bottom out. I have some lower cables out of an old H1 cable that look like they might be long enough, but not sure how the replacement Econ Cyc. cable splitter comes apart without breaking it. Any ideas appreciated. I'd be more than happy to get a new cable as long as it will still work the oil pump.

Regards, Don

Striker1423

Take the small white cap and work it off the inner black piece. It should be semi-pressed into place. The lower cables will then pop out of the white cap and slide through the cuts in the splitter housing.

Although I've never done it, if more cable throw is required for all three lower cables. You can either replace the three as you describe with a new set, OR fully disassemble the splitter and cut the inner black splitter (with the cut in it) down a few mm's at a time until you achieve the proper throw.  This will most likely require you replacing the single cable up to the throttle tube as that will then limit the throw to the adjustment at the cable.

pdxjim

Seems way easier to replace the cable adjusters on the carb tops than fussing with all those cables..

This is a common mod on LC's.  I'll snoop around and see if I can find the adjusters I used.  They were only a few bucks and took a few minutes to fit.

Which adjusters are on the PWKs you have?  There are many different versions.  Some fot with circlips, amd some are threaded. 

If they are the threaded type, the cable adjusters off your stock VM Mikunis may thread right in.

Some good info here:  https://rdlccrazy.proboards.com/thread/48558/converting-cable-fit-pwk-carbs
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

jims right. I think the 400 splitter has less throw than the 350 ones but i may be wrong. but adjusters will swap out from the vms to the pwks for the most part.  tim just went thru this on his 350, using stock cables got tm32s to work.

Striker1423

pdxjim

Here's what I ended up with on my LC.

These are the adjusters I used:  Sudco part # 007-730

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T6J9VHY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had to shave off the little pip on the carb top, and abandon the lower locknut.  Works great now and still way easier than messing around with cables.

LC throttle cable has the adjuster built it, and (i believe) RD400 doesn't.  So, you'll likely have to mix'n'match until you find the right combo to make it work with enough slack for future adjustment.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

DonRZ350

Thanks for the ideas. This really surprised me as when I put these on the RZ and H1 I had to go longer with the adjusters. I've already ground the nub off the cap and screwed in the adjuster out of the stock VM. I found the top part of the OE throttle cable, and it has a threaded cap. It's been ages, but I think the splitter tube on it was metal. If I found that I might have been in business, but it was awol.
I'm going camping this weekend so have time to cogitate. A dime will get you a dollar I'll probably cave man it with the tube cutter and dremel taking some off the cable sheath lol!

Regards, Don

quocle603

I had some issues with my PWK28, but I ultimately made my own custom cables with some solder and flux.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC