News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

monoshock gt250/yzf

Started by Gil Gallad, October 08, 2020, 05:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gil Gallad

i've tried 3 lots of refurbed and sonic cleaned carbs c/w new jets and all set up the same - but the bike is just the same every time. which is why i put the butterfly chokes on. next time the carbs come off will be when the bike is on the dyno and exhaust analiser and i'm changing jets - probably. while it's running right i'm leaving it be. of course i really ought to get a spare set of carbs drilled, so i could try them without the butterflies  :like:
cheers, gil.
p.s. drilling the carbs for the diagonal bypass hole. i should have made it clearer.

teazer

If those carbs have choke (starter) jets in the float bowl, I can tell you that they don't always open up after a long hot soak in the ultrasonic cleaner.  I have had a few Mikuni carbs that had to be mechanically cleaned out with wire. 

Good idea to add that bypass hole.

What I do after I clean carb bodies is to grab a can of WD40 and blow it through one drilling and repeat on the other carb(s).  That way I can see if the same passage flows more or less the same amount on all carbs and then I move to the next drilling.  Rinse and repeat.

The starter jet is a PIA because it's pressed in and not replaceable and it sits at the bottom of a well where garbage accumulates.

As I said above, I tend to use WD40 because it's less toxic than spraying half a can of carb cleaner around the workshop.

m in sc

if it wont clear out, take the pressed jet out. my old s2 had a carb like  that, i just yanked it out.