Main Menu

1971 R5 not a restoration

Started by mewherman, July 02, 2021, 12:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Czakky

mewherman

Quote from: m in sc on October 17, 2021, 10:51:18 AM
yup. sounds and looks great.

is it a k&n y boot? if so mine (otherwise stock 70) is same setup. seems to like 140 mains.  :twocents:

I have a uni y boot, this also has port work of unknown quality or origin done to the cylinders. I put 130s in there, the original ones were like 110? Or something. I have only ridden it around the neighbourhood.

m in sc

i -suspect- mine has had something done as well, but not sure. try dropping the needle 1 if its fat, i doubt you were on the main for any length of time in the neighborhood (assuming its the same when fully warmed up).

mewherman

Quote from: m in sc on October 17, 2021, 05:38:21 PM
i -suspect- mine has had something done as well, but not sure. try dropping the needle 1 if its fat, i doubt you were on the main for any length of time in the neighborhood (assuming its the same when fully warmed up).

I rode the bike for the first time this afternoon after putting plates on it and finishing a few odds and ends. I wasn't able to exactly determine if it's rich or lean really since the clutch was slipping, and I was having ignition issues and fouled plugs. The clutch used to slip unless it was adjusted all the way loose at the engine side when the engine was stock before as well, of course now it has a totally different clutch that I know is good, so I guess it wasn't that. I guess it just doesn't like any preload on that slot screw.

Despite these issues the bike feels pretty good and I can tell the engine has a lot more to give, and It was very fun to ride! I was having issues with the points, I had ordered replacements in the form of a tune up kit when I ordered all the parts from economy cycle but when the order was filled they said they were out of stock so I only got condensers. They said they would send the points when they got some, but it's been three months with no contact from them. So basically i'm running all 40 year old ignition parts lol.

When I put the bike together, I installed these snazzy looking new "classic" shocks I bought from economy cycle to replace the rusty originals, I'm finding they have no give at all and provide a very firm ride. I'm not sure what other people have experienced with these, maybe they are better suited to a much heavier rider than me.

mewherman

Well that last test ride just now I felt the front end get light in third with the clutch still slipping. Not sure what the clutch's deal is, it worked fine in the rd250 it came out of but that 250 was totally clapped out, so maybe I just need new plates. I've adjusted the linkage so it's applying no pressure, so I'll try again. Performance of the engine is great, but It has fouled three sets of spark plugs. I think I just need to replace everything ignition related and try again, I have double-checked timing is dead on and the gap is perfect. It totally killed two brand new NGKS, even the blow torch wouldn't bring them back to life!

Czakky

Did you adjust the linkage at the pushrod? I forget what it is, tighten then back off an 1/8th...?

Are you running the oil pump? I've never had any fouling issues... weird it being so close to stock.

mewherman

Quote from: Czakky on October 19, 2021, 05:01:19 AM
Did you adjust the linkage at the pushrod? I forget what it is, tighten then back off an 1/8th...?

Are you running the oil pump? I've never had any fouling issues... weird it being so close to stock.

Yes, at the push rod, I backed it off a bit, and now it seems to grab fine. I'm not sure what the spec is supposed to be I can't find anything about that.

I am running the pump which seems to operate fine, I replaced all the seals and lines on it.

I have no idea why it's doing this, I think I need to replace all the old original ignition stuff just to rule that out. The bike is basically stock other than a uni filter and the cylinders are ported. I really hope it isn't somehow an issue with the port work that's been done because that would mean I basically need to buy another set of replacement cylinders.

m in sc

i tend to run my adjustment at 1/2 to 3/4 turn out. ( i think the spec is 1/4) the clutch plates swell when they get warm and takes the play out.  you can always adjust any discrepancies at the lever end.

TPR5