Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Self canceling signals on RD400E

Started by msr, February 06, 2022, 05:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msr

I'm rummaging through a wiring diagram for the 400E and can't seem to wrap my head around how the self canceling turn signal circuits work. Would any of you care to talk through the theory of operation there? I see what looks like a controller and a sending unit along with the relay. But ... How exactly is it working?

Thanks,
Matt

1976RD400C

It has a special flasher that also has a relay in it. When you push the switch to turn, it connects the light to the flasher, just like a regular old turn signal, but also there is another momentary switch that causes the control unit to turn on the relay in the flasher. So, the turn signals are on. Then there are some contacts on the odometer wheel (I think or on a gear) that ground a sensor wire from the control unit after moving a given distance. When that happens the control unit shuts down the relay in the flasher. When it shuts down automatically, and you haven't pushed the button in, the light and flasher circuit is still connected but that relay in the flasher is shut down so no lights.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

pidjones

And, the flasher relay is not wired like standard flasher relays. To use a standard relay you need to move one of the connectors (and of course the auto-cancel won't work).
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

msr

Thanks, everyone. This is exactly what I was looking for. I've also spent a bit more time with the wiring diagram (many thanks to Evans Ward for the nicely laminated copy) and I think I fully understand it now.

Matt

2steve

I need to get cozy with this little write up myself.
                               V  V
                                 V

msr

That write up is really very helpful. Thanks for sharing that.

Matt