Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

Motors out.

Let's see what we got.

dgorms

:popcorn2: Can't wait!.........................D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

Striker1423

The pistons on both sides were starting to rub right in the center of the exhaust side. No other signs of seizure. Lots of vertical scratches.

Crank is so bad it's notched. If you rotate it the crank skips around 90 degrees at a time.

Correction, crank rotates freely by hand, but is louder than it was before, even with oil in it. :/ So, would it be cheaper to rebuild it? Or just buy another Vito's crank for $479 off Ebay? The top end doesn't look terrible, but I think I'm at minimum sending it back to John or someone to have a look.

Barto

'79 400F                             '82 KZ750E
'79 Husqvarna WR390          '70 MTD minibike
'77 Husqvarna CR390           '55 Indian Woodsman (British 500 Bullet) basket
'75 Bultaco Alpina 350
'66 Benelli Cobra 125

Striker1423

So decision time on the crank. Anyone have a suggestion? I highly doubt I can have the Vito's crank rebuilt cheaper than a new crank costs. Thoughts?

I see as well Garrett is selling an already rebuilt stock crank for $550....

rodneya

I would go with the Garret crank. Im not putting anything Vitos in my motor ever. Before rattle can Ray bought Vitos, maybe, but definitely not now.

Striker1423

Still here. Still working on the bike lol. The crank still haunts me. I tried scrounging for parts on the cheap. I can't get a crank done for less than 500 bucks. Best prices I found for parts were $125 for 2 Pro-X rod kits. But the bearings... They are expensive. Looking at $180 from the local dealer with free pickup.

Even if I sent the crank out it would be $150 most places if I supplied parts +shipping.

Would anyone actually rebuild a Vito's crank? I suppose I don't see why they couldn't or wouldn't.

rodneya

Garrets page has $425 for a rebuild

Dvsrd

Having only seen pictures of the Vito's cranks, they may have one advantage over the older 250/350 cranks. No lead weights that can come loose. And a bit lighter weight, I suspect. Maybe as much as a pound or two?

Striker1423

Correct, no lead weights and lighter.

I just sent mine off to Ed Toomey.

Striker1423

Pistons are in. Banshee pistons Wiseco.

I know that the center tang needs to be taken off the piston. John did the last set for me. This set I've got it here to do. Anyone have any advice? The only file I have is a large metal one Should I be looking at getting a set of jewelers files or something to do this?

rodneya

I used a belt sander on the tang and some hand sanding with a small block to make a bit of a chamfer.

Striker1423

Ok, I used the grinder to do most of the work. Will do a file on the rest and sandpaper to finish it off. All these little tasks make me nervous for some dumb reason. Lol. Maybe my confidence has been slowly whittled away every blow-up I go through.

EDIT:

Pistons all done but the polishing.

dgorms

Every "blow up" is a learning experience/opportunity!.............................D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

pidjones

I just hope the blow up isn't from the grinding wheel. Loaded with aluminum, they've been known to explode when next used on steel.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"