Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

So it begins... Again

Started by Striker1423, July 03, 2021, 03:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

Quote from: pidjones on September 01, 2021, 06:15:28 AM
I just hope the blow up isn't from the grinding wheel. Loaded with aluminum, they've been known to explode when next used on steel.

:bang:

Good thing they're cheap. I'll just replace it. Thanks for the caution.

Striker1423

So as the crank rests with Mr. Toomey I got the cylinders honed. Just need to give them a bath. I use dawn dish soap for everything so I might as well put on Splish Splash by Bobby Darin and just boogy til those cylinders sparkle and my shirts dirty.

What is the next step? Well, I had quite the low neutral position hum. As if the transmission was resonating through the whole motor in a deep, soft, quiet, baritone. Is this something that's considered normal? Transmission bearings seemed just fine to me. No catching, or goofy noises. Output shaft bearing was replaced last refresh with a new one Chuck Q had sent me. I've heard the trans bearings are usually sold and steady on these.

pidjones

Next step is to oil the cylinders as soon as they are clean to prevent flash rust.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

1976RD400C

Quote from: Striker1423 on August 31, 2021, 12:04:14 PM
Ok, I used the grinder to do most of the work. Will do a file on the rest and sandpaper to finish it off. All these little tasks make me nervous for some dumb reason. Lol. Maybe my confidence has been slowly whittled away every blow-up I go through.

EDIT:

Pistons all done but the polishing.

I use those pistons in my 400. Wicked strong and they hold up good.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

teazer

When you say "polishing" what do you mean?  Just smooth off the rough ground part on that lower edge and you are good to go.

Striker1423

Quote from: teazer on September 09, 2021, 11:55:17 PM
When you say "polishing" what do you mean?  Just smooth off the rough ground part on that lower edge and you are good to go.
Just smoothing out where the file was used with 1000 grit sandpaper or something. That's it.

teazer

Thanks for clearing that up.  You had me worried for a moment.
Stay calm and Carry on

Striker1423

New gaskets and seals are here. Just need the crank.

Also, the little crank seal with the nub that fits in the crank keyway. It was new and they are OOS most places. Although its already starting to get hard, its not deformed. Might I still be able to use it?

rodneya

Newer motors don't even us the oring on the crank key-way. You will be fine just putting a bit of yamabond on the key-way when reassembling.
Do a leakdown test after it is all together to check everything is good.

pidjones

What bike do you need the crank o-ring for? I notice Yambits has them for the RD400c.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

rodneya

Quote from: pidjones on September 11, 2021, 10:57:32 PM
What bike do you need the crank o-ring for? I notice Yambits has them for the RD400c.

Parts fisches show them for all 350's and 400's. There should be a groove for the oring on the back of the crank gear to be able to use the oring.
They stopped using them on the LC and everything after.

Striker1423

Cylinders washed and oiled, roll-pin replaced in oil pump, just need to clean the heads and re-clean the transmission etc. as its been sitting open for months. Yay life! I now await crank and eventually the oil pump will be sent to Arrow for his magic voodoo to be performed. :)

I know I can run the bike until then hence why I'm still moving forward. Never had an oiling problem, but the pump will definitely work better after he's done with it.   

1979DaytonaSpecial

He just needs to use a dressing tool to clean the wheel, to be safe.
This should of been a quote to the grinding wheel remark.

Striker1423

Quote from: 1979DaytonaSpecial on September 14, 2021, 12:54:21 PM
He just needs to use a dressing tool to clean the wheel, to be safe.
This should of been a quote to the grinding wheel remark.
Yea I might just do that. Heads cleaned up nicely. Need to clean the gaskets next.

Striker1423

I have acquired all the parts to start rebuilding the engine.

Crank, Pistons, Gaskets, seals, Rebuilt oil pump, new Yamaha oil lines and clips, etc.

Now to just clean the rest of the fiances stuff from out of the garage. I don't care at this point, basement the rest goes!