Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Any of you ridden at Little Tally?

Started by waktaylor, June 30, 2021, 05:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waktaylor

I signed up for a track day at Little Tally (Talladega Gran Prix) and Im probably gonna ride my Daytona. Will be a first track day for me. Was debating buying a ninja 250 or sv650 to use instead. Anyone of you ridden there?

Yamaha 179

I've ridden at TGP since Hector was a pup.   I would have to dig out my records to see when my first laps were turned there because my memory isn't sound enough to tell you the truth, but it has to be in the '80s or '90s whenever the track was first built.  In its first layout and as I recall, first owned by a SCCA group.  Now owned by someone else.  It is a nice little track.  Easy to get to, good pit space on the asphalt (but hot), and nice pit space back in the shady trees.  Restrooms rather tacky, food wasn't available last time I was there (pre-Pandemic).  They did have race gas available but that stopped a couple of years ago (maybe more) so if you ride the Daytona take five gallons of race gas.  We always attended races there so I don't know about track days but I heard good things about the track days.  The track is interesting and fun on Yamaha twins; RDs and GP bikes.  You will enjoy it.  Have good tires!!!  The Ninga's go well there but if you are not used to racing the SV would be a bit more difficult.  Take a lot of water.
Lyn Garland

waktaylor

Thanks, Lyn, great info!

Quote from: Yamaha 179 on July 01, 2021, 05:02:57 AM
I've ridden at TGP since Hector was a pup.  .... The Ninga's go well there but if you are not used to racing the SV would be a bit more difficult.  Take a lot of water.
Lyn Garland

1976RD400C

I've taken my RD and SV to track days. Two completely different bikes with the weight difference. The RD reacts so much quicker.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

waktaylor

Great! Does the RD keep up with other riders? I thought about getting a ninja 250 ($1000 bike) but many people complain if youre "too slow" on the straights even tho the 250 may smoke them in the twisties...

Im a little worried about banging up my Daytona, but the track seems safer than the street.

Quote from: 1976RD400C on July 01, 2021, 10:24:22 AM
I've taken my RD and SV to track days. Two completely different bikes with the weight difference. The RD reacts so much quicker.

Djg8493

On a small track Ninja 250s are great!  most track days are set up to keep the smaller bikes and newer riders safe with larger passing rules (5/6ft) and only on outside.  on the straights as long as you hold your line it is not a problem.  I have not ridden that track but on the east coast 250s are still able to keep up.  I am a bigger fan of SVs though as that is what I rode for years, on bigger tracks you have the same issue on the straights but I was actually faster on my SV than my current R6 even though the R6 top speed is much faster. 
1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

waktaylor

Yea im leaning hard toward the sv650. the ninjas are nearly the same money and will be limited even in the small cc classes.