This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD 350 oil tank cleaning after ages !!

Started by Pravin, July 07, 2021, 03:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pravin

Hi folks ,

As am going on oil pump setup frst time ... I am trying to clean my oil tank .
The inlet rubber tube was broken and what not has gone inside the tank   :shocked:

I am worried about the rut chips n particles those are coming out as I am giving a petrol wash from inside by pouring 50 60 ml of petrol n shaking it and trying to flush it from either inlet or Dip stick holes .

The out let hole looks to be free ...

Question is how you clean such oil tank ?
Cheers
Pravin

Arrow

The tank has to be scrupulously clean.
White spirit is a bit more user friendly, but it won't guarantee perfection if the tank is too far gone.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

m in sc

I have actually seen an oil tank lined with caswell before (was actually because of a few different reasons). i havent done it but it def need to be spotless in there.

oxford

You could also throw a handful of small nuts in the tank to shake around with your flush when you shake it around, it will help break up anything that's in there.

RustyRD

white vinegar 5% acidity will remove rust without over etching the metal. Eco friendly and cheap.

Inov8

Quote from: RustyRD on July 09, 2021, 07:10:14 PM
white vinegar 5% acidity will remove rust without over etching the metal. Eco friendly and cheap.

This. But to be fair, the acid will only convert the rust; not remove it. Some mechanical abrasion will still be required for removal. Before you do any type of converter (vinegar, Ospho, etc.) rinse the tank several times with Dawn and HOT water.

Although I have yet to try it, my body shop buddy swears by this stuff. No mechanical abrasion required. Locks loose rust in place and converts it. He does a lot of marine work but bikes as well. Says it works better than any Kreem or POR-15 stuff he's tried.
https://store.interstateproducts.com/products/Rust_Control/1_step_rust_killer_1gal?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&msclkid=cbd380173f571dcb49b0e0fdd3bb2e26
I'll just shut up now and go back my Crayons and coloring book

rodneya

Quote from: Inov8 on July 11, 2021, 09:38:52 AM
Quote from: RustyRD on July 09, 2021, 07:10:14 PM

This. But to be fair, the acid will only convert the rust; not remove it. Some mechanical abrasion will still be required for removal. Before you do any type of converter (vinegar, Ospho, etc.) rinse the tank several times with Dawn and HOT water.

Although I have yet to try it, my body shop buddy swears by this stuff. No mechanical abrasion required. Locks loose rust in place and converts it. He does a lot of marine work but bikes as well. Says it works better than any Kreem or POR-15 stuff he's tried.
https://store.interstateproducts.com/products/Rust_Control/1_step_rust_killer_1gal?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&msclkid=cbd380173f571dcb49b0e0fdd3bb2e26

Ive thought about products like that before, but looking at the description it may not be the best application.

I used electrolysis using TSP to get my last fuel tank cleaned out. The TSP leaves a phosphate residue / coating or something that stops it flash rusting after rinsing. Worked out really well.