Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

The TAT

Started by soonerbillz, July 24, 2021, 08:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soonerbillz

So I am soon starting my prep both mechanical and physical for the greatest bike ride of my life.
In July of 2022 I will be doing a cross country off road trip on my 1971 Yamaha RT1 360 enduro.
The TAT as it is known .. is a mapped trail ride that utilizing GPS and roll charts created  by a gentleman named "Sam" that charts off road primarily and paved road secondarily.. is a proven trip that will be test of my mechanical skills and riding ability.
I'm 62..will be 63 then. The chart takes trails from the North Carolina Atlantic coast to the Oregon Pacific coast.
As this is my ultimate bucket list ride. I will split this up between 2022 and 2023. I live in Oklahoma and will do the west trip 2022.. east trip 2023.
I think ..estimate it will take 3-4 weeks each way as I am in no hurry.

pidjones

"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

pdxjim

Awesome!

I've done the ORBDR, WABDR and IDBDR in the last few years.  Took about 10 days and 1000miles each trip.  I was on a '13 KTM 300xcw.  We camped every night but ate most of our meals at restaurants/gas stations/grocery stores. 

Two strong reccomendations: bring a riding buddy or a team, and get a modern bike.

Injuries and mechanicals on the road can bring the fun to a halt real fast.

More info and a pic of my bike here:  http://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=742.msg5422#msg5422
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

paul1478

This is the exact reason a have a klr650. The guy I was going to go with chickened out.
It is still on my list.
Good luck and you will see parts of American very few have.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

85RZwade

I think that's great; good on ya for having an adventure!
I post waayyy too much

Czakky

Sounds like a blast. So cool to do it on a classic ride.

John Ritter

Scott I've ridden both piston port and reed in every stage of tune and the 360 is a heavy bike, I also remember the front ends were ill handling pigs. I only trail rode the piston port a couple times but rode the reed bike enough to know you are a brave individual. My son has 2 favorite bikes, his 1974 MX360 and 1974 MX100. Both have extensive work done to engines and suspensions. He said he will own them the rest of his life.
Good Luck......