Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

dual disk wheel for RD?

Started by Still biking, July 24, 2021, 07:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Still biking

I inherited a bunch of RD parts in a purchase I made years ago and trying to find out what this wheel is for or from.  Appears to as an RD400 but has bolt holes on each side of wheel for disk so I assume its for dual disk use.  Anyone have any ideas?

m in sc

looks kawasaki or tz possibly?

85RZwade

Are there any names or numbers cast or stamped on it?
I post waayyy too much

teazer

Look for a raised M, indicating that it's a Morris magnesium wheel which is perfect for a TZ museum restoration but really has no place on a bike that will be ridden.  Magnesium age hardens and cracks internally which will cause you to instantly empty your bowel just like taking too much magnesium in your diet will do, but more catastrophically.

It might be an aluminum copy but looks like a Morris.  I have one that looks very like that and after it gets blasted and powder coated it will be fitted to a museum/private collection TZ.

Still biking

Quote from: teazer on July 24, 2021, 11:28:20 PM
Look for a raised M, indicating that it's a Morris magnesium wheel which is perfect for a TZ museum restoration but really has no place on a bike that will be ridden.  Magnesium age hardens and cracks internally which will cause you to instantly empty your bowel just like taking too much magnesium in your diet will do, but more catastrophically.

It might be an aluminum copy but looks like a Morris.  I have one that looks very like that and after it gets blasted and powder coated it will be fitted to a museum/private collection TZ.

Wow!  You are good!  I knew it wasn't aluminum or steel and magnesium fits the description. It is very light in weight and has rough surface.   And there is an M stamped on it!  Were those wheels used on TZ yamahas or were they aftermarket?

85RZwade

Aftermarket, baby! And they are cool as shit! Lots of big names rode and won road races and flat track on those in the 70s, maybe into the 80s. Great find, hang on to it  :bacon:
I post waayyy too much

teazer

Yes, aftermarket.  Racers are always looking for a weight advantage.  Mag wheels were supplied by Morris, Kimtab, Campagnolo and many others. They were fitted to Kawasaki triples and Suzuki TR750s and TZs and they are all decades old and way past their use by date.

I have a matching 3.00 x 18 rear wheel on a TZ special here and it will be fitted with the old hard as nails slick tire if I can get it back on the rim for static display.