News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Inline oil filter to replace tank screen

Started by pidjones, December 17, 2020, 09:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pidjones

I did an endoscope camera inspection of the oil filter screen in the bottom of my oil tank, and it is shredded. Obviously no easy way to replace it (I'll remove the bits with hemostats hopefully). But, I would really like to protect the oil pump (and thus the engine). So, I searched for an inline oil filter or screen. All that I could find was for either jet skis or snowmobiles, and they are a lot larger than I care to mount.

So, I bought a cheap inline fuel strainer for outdoor power equipment from a local auto parts store and pulled it apart to see what it offered. It has a fine nylon mesh screen that appears to be thermal bonded to a frame inside. I put a few drops of Yamaha 2 stroke oil for injection into the basket formed by the mesh and observed that it seeped through fairly easily.

So, my options are to either use one of these filters inline, make one of my own design with smoking pipe screen for filter (readily available on Amazon and "head shops" now that legalization of hemp smoking is in vogue), or do without.

Has anyone attempted augmenting or replacing their tank-mounted screen? Do you think that the nylon would hold up (easiest solution)? I have plenty of syringes and Mighty Vac pump to purge any air from an added filter. If I made one it would probably be aluminum spun out on the lathe with a SS screen (brass also an option). Might do that anyway just as an exercise.

Photo is the available jet ski/snowmobile filter top and disassembled power equipment filter bottom.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Striker1423

There's a screen in there? lol Learn something new every day.

If the filter is meant for 2 stroke oil then it should allow gravity feed.
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-646-24251-01-00-Strainer-2-stroke-646-24251-02-00/dp/B004K9JZ0I#customerReviews

pidjones

Quote from: Striker1423 on December 17, 2020, 09:47:34 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-646-24251-01-00-Strainer-2-stroke-646-24251-02-00/dp/B004K9JZ0I#customerReviews
That appears  to be for 1/4" lines.

The power equipment filter that I showed has barbs for a smaller, maybe 3/16 line as well. The mesh in it passes (slowly) 2 stroke oil by gravity. Oil usage shouldn't be faster than it would pass, but I'm really considering making one with a SS or brass screen (the screen in the tank appeared to be brass).

Striker1423

Quote from: pidjones on December 17, 2020, 10:37:23 AM

The power equipment filter that I showed has barbs for a smaller, maybe 3/16 line as well. The mesh in it passes (slowly) 2 stroke oil by gravity. Oil usage shouldn't be faster than it would pass, but I'm really considering making one with a SS or brass screen (the screen in the tank appeared to be brass).

I was gonna suggest making one yourself. I know its kinda big, but a garden hose mesh would probably suit your needs. Cut it out of an old hose end and trim to size. I think they're usually brass or steel. They may even sell them separate at a local Ace, Aco, True Value, etc.

pidjones

Quote from: Striker1423 on December 17, 2020, 05:37:44 PM
Quote from: pidjones on December 17, 2020, 10:37:23 AM

I was gonna suggest making one yourself. I know its kinda big, but a garden hose mesh would probably suit your needs. Cut it out of an old hose end and trim to size. I think they're usually brass or steel. They may even sell them separate at a local Ace, Aco, True Value, etc.
I'll check my local Ace Hardware. There is a tattoo parlor/head shop near the Knoxville Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki dealer, and I need to go there soon (the Honda dealer). Might stop and see if they have the pipe screen.

Jspooner

Honestly............I would not worry about it. I didn't even know there was a screen in there. I built an oil tank for my TZ replica and obviously no screen or filter. Has not been an issue.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

pdxjim

I'm with these ^ guys.

My LC (and all the other injected 2T's I've ever owned) all just have a blow molded plastic tank with a hose nipple at the bottom.

No screen, no filter, no nothing.

Just clean all the junk out of the tank, and use clean oil, and you'll be fine.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Djg8493

Also if you re in quick need of a small screen a friend told me you can unscrew the end of a bathroom faucet as they utilize a number of small screens to make the water flow evenly.  in a pinch you can borrow one from there 8)
1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

m in sc

ive never used one, or should say , added or replaced one. the triples had em, etc, but never found a need, either.  to that point, would prob  be easier to fit an inline disc fuel one, with the screen. but ive never seen it as a necessity either.

pidjones

Just to close this out (long over-due). I ended up making a filter body out of aluminum scrap and captured a head shop pipe bowl screen in it. All sealed with an o-ring and placed inline near the tank. It drips 2T oil through plenty fast enough (just less than a continous stream).

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

sav0r

Quote from: pidjones on August 19, 2021, 08:44:05 AM
Just to close this out (long over-due). I ended up making a filter body out of aluminum scrap and captured a head shop pipe bowl screen in it. All sealed with an o-ring and placed inline near the tank. It drips 2T oil through plenty fast enough (just less than a continous stream).

You stole the aerator from the sink tap, didn't you?
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

pidjones

Quote from: sav0r on August 19, 2021, 09:12:48 AM
Quote from: pidjones on August 19, 2021, 08:44:05 AM

You stole the aerator from the sink tap, didn't you?
No, actually I went to a "head shop" and purchased a pack of pipe bowl filters intended for pipes used in smoking illegal substances (at least, illegal presently in Tennessee).

sav0r

I was just joking around. I'm sure some people know what I'm talking about while others don't.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

85RZwade

"Those kids must have had a party last night. This faucet doesn't flow right."
I post waayyy too much