News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

GPS Speedos (not swimwear)

Started by 85RZwade, July 25, 2021, 11:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

Are the cheap GPS speedos worth messing with? I really like a $300 unit from speedhut, but I have three projects in the works. As much as I would like to send the fine folks at speedhut a Grover, the $60 jobbies have my attention. Beyond "cheap stuff ain't good, and good stuff ain't cheap", any experience out there?
I post waayyy too much

Jspooner

I have speedhut gauges on my TZ replica. They work. Not sure they're worth the money but I did it for the looks more than anything.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

bitzz

I have a $50 one mounted, going into it's 3rd year.
No problems yet.

Dvsrd

Now, I have never used a GPS speedo, but I have a TomTom on my ST2, and have the factory satnav in my VW. And both those units have noticeabike delay/ lag when accelerating hard.
Won't that be the case with a GPS Speedo also?

85RZwade

I don't know, but it seems like a reasonable assumption. If I'm accelerating hard I probably won't be looking at the speedometer, though! Another idea is an app for my phone and three phone holders: one for each bike. I'm taking the damn phone with me anyway, right?
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

ive considered one as well. i agree, i never look at it accelerating anyway. ive used my GPS to verify speed quite a bit on bikes, but usually dont have the phone hanging off the bars. 

85RZwade

I'm pulling the trigger on a cheapie and will report my findings here. Thanks for the input, gentlemen!
I post waayyy too much

rodneya

I have an Acewell gauge on one of my bikes that has 1" digital  numbers for the speedo. Under acceleration the vibrations just blur it

AtLarge

Got a link to the one you are considering?
1973 Honda CL70-K3
1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C
1994 BMW K1100RS
2023 Honda CRF300L Rally ABS

85RZwade

I do:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224492997347

Past considering, I bought. They (yup, I bought two) should be here Friday, but I'll be floating the Clark fork in Montana until Sunday. I bought small ones because I like the small speedo, large tach look. Probably going to use the original Yamaha tach on the Elsie, and I don't have a plan for the others yet.
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

They're here and seem very nice:

With an OEM Elsie tachometer:

I'd like to connect it to a battery and see how it compares to my truck speedometer...but then I'd have to drive instead of ride! Maybe next time it rains.
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

I had to drive to work yesterday, so I set up the speedo on the console, hung the antenna over the back seat headrest and connected to a lawnmower battery on the floor. Speedo responded right away to the movement of the truck, needle swept smoothly and kept up with the truck speedometer. I am a happy camper  :toot:
I post waayyy too much

Striker1423

Very cool. How do these fit in an RD dash? Just curious in case my new gauges decide to quit again.

85RZwade

Well, sir, that's a good question. I don't have an RD dash any longer, and if anyone else had asked me I'd have told 'em I sold it to YOU. I dare say the RD350LC tachometer in the pic above is the same size as an RD unit, so the speedo I bought is, shall we say, smaller. There are many sizes available, so I'd think a clever lad such as yourself could craft a satisfactory solution. I'm going for a minimalist installation myself.
I post waayyy too much