Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Dirt bikes in the city playing Mad Max

Started by 1976RD400C, July 29, 2021, 04:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1976RD400C

I haven't seen it but a guess there is a big problem in the city near me. It's been going on quite a while. Outlaw hooligan dirt bikes and ATVs terrorizing people. The cops can't seem to catch them. The news kept showing how frustrated the cops and the mayor were. Then they passed new laws trying to scare the bikers, if we catch you there will be big fines and we will confiscate and destroy your vehicle. That was several months ago. The news comes on tonight and the headline was "they got one!". It said they caught a ATVer. It showed the flat bed truck at his storage locker hauling away 2 ATVs and a bike (for destruction?)and they said gave him 47 traffic tickets. I can't stop laughing.  :haw:
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

m in sc

I know they are a menace but man, some of the videos of those guys are very entertaining. I've seen some crews of them in Charlotte int he past ripping by too. 

pdxjim

12 o'clock boyz.

Started in B'more over a decade ago.

Urban kids looking for a fun release.

Surprising we don't hear the deaths sensationalized, as none of em wear helmets.

I like the idea, but the execution isn't always as graceful as it could be.

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Clem710

There is a "ride out" in Miami on MLK weekend that typically has pretty good attendance.  Multiple reasonings/justifications for it but generally alot of shenanigans.  Worth a peep if you like that kind of thing, I keep thinking I should attend just to add to the critical mass of bikers.  Slow ass, legal Kymco aint gonna draw no trouble for sure:)

sav0r

It's a growing issue here in Pittsburgh. The police will not chase or pursue them. I get that, there's no need for people to get hurt. That said it's pretty annoying when kids are riding wheelies down the street my 5 year old plays on. The police did bust one of the big hangouts and impounded several bikes. That calmed them down big time. The bigger issue is that they tend to filter into local park space where people are walking, jogging, hiking.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

Ws76133

Some cities have a non-pursuit policy with motorcycles since lots of them are too fast to be caught, anyway...

murphywv

Years ago when I was young and invincible I use to be quite the hooligan on my GS1000 but never in town. The sheriff saw me one evening probably at a ton+ down a long straight. He caught up with me three days later getting gas and let me know he knew it was me (the bike has a distinctive howl to it thru the Kerker pipe). He gave me a stern lecture and told me to behave or he would scoop me up with a shovel one day.
1974 RD350 not stock
KTM 300 XC-W
Beta 500R-SS
And a big ol' chopper

NYSingh

If the nearby city you're referring to is NYC, yes, they're definitely around.  I don't know if "terrorizing" is the right term, but they do ride pretty recklessly (ignoring stoplights, weaving around cars, riding in parks) and ride in groups that can seem threatening to non-riders.  They're definitely loud and annoying...but so is my RD.

My biggest issue is that, because of them, the NYPD have declared an overall war on motorcycles. Since the dirt bikers have no problem running from the cops, the law abiding motorcyclists who stop and pull over are the ones that get ticketed/towed for minor infractions (aftermarket parts, not properly signaling, expired inspection stickers, etc) to show the public that they're 'cracking down'.
1976 RD400C (SpecII pipes, K&N Y-boot, Dave F Mod, Team Scream Racing Stage-1 Porting)
Moto Guzzi V7III

DesmoDrew

I like it.  See it sometimes where I live and in Orlando.  At least is takes some skill and has a social element, and they are on motorcycles (I like motorcycles).  Much preferred to the teen and twenty-something redneck dipshits that ride through town in their (daddy bought) jacked up diesel 4x4 trucks with the megaphone tailpipes making the engine spew black smoke and noise while people try to enjoy a walk or outdoor meal in our downtown. 

soonerbillz

The truth is.. this is illegal activity.. and left unchecked will eventually lead to worse things.
Here locally there is a lot of illegal drag racing on the streets. Unfortunately just recently a young man who was a former student of my wife was arrested for manslaughter after he lost control and crashed, killing a woman. His car caught fire and he was burned badly as well. Totally tragic.
As to the dirt bikes and atv riders.. here's a story I saw today from Rhode Island. Again tragically unnecessary.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/rhode-island-woman-24-held-after-video-shows-mom-35-with-child-beaten-in-road-rage-incident-report

I'm not a saint.. and did a lot of stupid things in my youth..have the scars to prove it.. now in my 60's.. I have the luxury of hindsight..

1976RD400C

If, after settling his 47 tickets he can have his bikes back for $3000 each according to the new law they put in place.  :eek:

bikes" border="0
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

Djg8493

Call me an optimist but I see this as an opportunity that with proper guide rails it gives a good release.  It would be nice to find a place in these cities that kids can ride legally.  (I know its not going to solve the problem and kids will still hit the streets)

For me Skateboarding was similar growing up, cops were arresting us for trespassing all around Philly and the public and news were all complaining.  The truth is having something like that kept so many kids, myself included out of trouble, so many others got involved with drugs and stuff because they didn't have anything better to do.
1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6