News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

1975 RD350(LC) Preservation-mod Hellride

Started by irk_miller, August 06, 2021, 10:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoRiders

Irk, Thought I was seeing double when I spotted this build on 2strokeworld.net....haha

irk_miller

Quote from: NoRiders on January 16, 2022, 02:33:30 PM
Irk, Thought I was seeing double when I spotted this build on 2strokeworld.net....haha
Haha.  I figured the 2t knowledge base would be a little deeper over here, though Teazer has been all-knowing no matter where I post. 

rodneya

Quote from: 85RZwade on January 03, 2022, 10:59:42 PM
Does the Ramair performance sock just slip over the bellmouths without clamps? And where do we buy them?

Just got them delivered, took a really long time from the UK.
Fits great, bit of a stretch but it goes right over the back of the carbs

m in sc

be very curious to see how that performs, may have to steal that idea.

irk_miller

Mine came in a few weeks back and so far so good.  I've just bench run the bike so far, though, so we're still a bit out before I know what the street says.

irk_miller

The build is mostly done (minus paint and body), so I took it for test rides. This is the part where I get really inexperienced. It rides nothing like I expected, so I need to find the tune. It shows little power in the lower gears. The power band comes on way up in the rpm's.  Very little low end torque.  It shows the ability to get up in speed, though I never took it above 4th gear. Any advice on stuff to go through is much appreciated. I can't remember the jetting in these carbs, in fact the jetting may be as they come. I need to go back and check.

NoRiders

Good news on getting it riding....can't really help with tuning though.

SoCal250

Irk, this should provide a good start for sorting out the jetting. (see attached)
If the jetting is still in the out-of-the-box config you'll defintely need to do some tweaking. I believe there are some members here running TM32s like you on a very similar setup who can provide some insight.

I like the nearly-finished product. :clap: Looks great! Can't wait to see it with paint.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

irk_miller

Quote from: SoCal250 on February 23, 2022, 07:03:14 PM
Irk, this should provide a good start for sorting out the jetting. (see attached)
If the jetting is still in the out-of-the-box config you'll defintely need to do some tweaking. I believe there are some members here running TM32s like you on a very similar setup who can provide some insight.

I like the nearly-finished product. :clap: Looks great! Can't wait to see it with paint.

Thank you for that document.  That will help a ton. 

Been talking to a buddy pretty knowledgeable who is telling me some of my expectations are a bit off.  I have an XS and I'm expecting a ton of low end torque similar to the XS.  He is suggesting the combo of porting and pipes gets me more of a road racer and I need to get it up above 6k to really get into the power band.  This is opposite of my experience with motorcycles, so it's something I need to learn.  I am definitely not revving, nor am I really getting on the throttle per se.

85RZwade

Congratulations on the first ride!

And thanks for posting the jetting document, Russ  :thumbs:
I post waayyy too much

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

The Red Scourge

'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

irk_miller

I've got oozing out of the front my base gasket.  Seems like really loose oil when hot, but then thickens almost like graphite bearing grease.  I am guessing something related to the transfer ports, but I'm not yet sure how or why.  My guess is that the blackness and bearing grease nature is from exhaust.  Doesn't taste sweet, so can't figure if coolant is contributing.  Not in crazy amounts, but enough to know it needs fixed.

m in sc

im running tm32s on my lc topend. it pulls great from down low...2500-3k ish but goes bonkers at 6500. scott clough ported.
  Im sure the timing curve helps as well. and its pretty heavily ported, head cut, with lomas pipes.

heres the thread. would be really close. I never did the 2-into-1. maybe someday.  either way.. its still running great. Hope this helps:

https://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=2122.0

irk_miller

Quote from: m in sc on March 31, 2022, 02:34:37 PM
im running tm32s on my lc topend. it pulls great from down low...2500-3k ish but goes bonkers at 6500. scott clough ported.
  Im sure the timing curve helps as well. and its pretty heavily ported, head cut, with lomas pipes.

heres the thread. would be really close. I never did the 2-into-1. maybe someday.  either way.. its still running great. Hope this helps:

https://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=2122.0
This helps a ton.  I thought I was best at 250 on the main jet, but I just went all the way down to 240 on the main jetting to do some runs the other day.  Seeing your results helps me confirm where I was.  I am also lean on the jet needle by all accounts at 0-2, so I ordered P-6.  I think it's time to dig back into the ignition timing.  I've probably been way too focused on the carburetors in the tuning.  Asking questions about the most common of things clearly highlights my lack of experience with 2T street bikes.  LOL