Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

1975 RD350(LC) Preservation-mod Hellride

Started by irk_miller, August 06, 2021, 10:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

The oozing oil thing... Make sure it isn't just leaking from the exhaust manifold. But, there shouldn't be ANY oil or anything leaking from a base gasket. If that's the case I'd pressure test the motor.

irk_miller

I took the top end off, because I was just not getting the compression I should be.  Figuring plenty of blow-by too.  I assume blow-by would contribute to base gasket losses, if they were in fact leaking.  They appeared clean coming apart.  Sent the jugs to Mototech in Ohio for boring to 64.5.  Swapping from an LC to RZ piston with a modified skirt.  I am trying to distinguish why the call for a skirt mod for air-cooled RDs, but best I can figure it's con rod length differences.  Even though I'm running the LC top end, I opted for the modded skirt.  I hope I have it right. 

m in sc

the tab is removed due to lack of a bridged intake. so, you are good. I had to do it on 2x of mine.

see about getting the head cut, i did mine years ago, typically im in the 150-155 psi range.

irk_miller

I filled up the tank for the first time to find a leak.  I knew the tank had seen impact, but I wasn't sure the extent of the damage.  Not surprised by the leak, but hoped it would be less damage.  As a result, I dug away enough of a layer of gel coat and original glass to lay a piece of .30mm fiberglass.  I will follow up with a coat of epoxy inside the tank just where the crack is. 

irk_miller

I coated the tank in a GM color called Olympic White. I'm going off a hunch that the white is a common Chevy white and the blue a common Chevy blue. I am predicting the blue is an engine block color. The white seems to match perfectly. Even my wife agrees. #science

irk_miller

Under years of paint, I was able to piece together enough original label from the expansion pipes to create replica labels.

irk_miller

The bike is running again, and running much better.  It's at least at a point to mark it complete and start to rip it around town. Things like the clutch are still not quite adjusted well, so really we're just sorting the little things.

m in sc

thats awesome.

want to make another set of those decals? id love a set.

NoRiders

A most excellent outcome  :clap: That looks the business, nice one operative Miller.

Seeing yours I see mine to some extent, differing style but similar ethos I believe.

pidjones

"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

Striker1423

irk_miller

Thanks so much, y'all.

Seems to run decently enough, but I am taking the clutch apart today.  Looks like I put the single ball bearing in the wrong place, and I wonder if I have another mistake or two in there.  I have to screw the actuator adjuster in all the way passed the lock nut and I am thinking the clutch plates don't totally engage when the clutch lever is release. 

m in sc

id almost bet it isnt in there. they like to fall out when assembling and on side stand.

irk_miller

Quote from: m in sc on June 24, 2022, 10:35:27 AM
id almost bet it isnt in there. they like to fall out when assembling and on side stand.
With so much Honda experience, I put the ball in the actuator instead of at the other end of the rod. That's my own fault for making assumptions and not sticking to the fiche. 

I did figure out my issue, though.  Brand new friction discs and pretty much immediately polished my plates.  Looks like I need some heavier springs and a little more clutch.