This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Melting aluminum off cylinders

Started by Striker1423, August 20, 2021, 10:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

but not out of ports.

I was really curious if the HCL-based Works cleaner would clean the cylinder walls of aluminum on my bike. But, alas, it seems this will not work as well as hoped. No minty fresh smelling cylinders for me. So, muriatic acid it is? How does one prevent the ports from getting acid on them? Q tips?

How do I know what is or isn't aluminum on the cylinder? The scratches don't really look aluminum colored... just black kinda.

teazer

Gloves on
Safety glasses on
small amount of muriatic acid on a Q tip to wipe away the mess. It will fizz, so make sure you have good ventilation. Take your time - it takes a while. That will remove all the aluminum, then wash it thoroughly and do a clean up hone - light pass and check the bores.

Striker1423

Quote from: teazer on August 20, 2021, 11:55:20 AM
Gloves on
Safety glasses on
small amount of muriatic acid on a Q tip to wipe away the mess. It will fizz, so make sure you have good ventilation. Take your time - it takes a while. That will remove all the aluminum, then wash it thoroughly and do a clean up hone - light pass and check the bores.
John mentioned needing a ball hone, and to do 2 quick passes up/down one direction, then up/down the other and to stop. Scrub it clean, re-check chamfers and run it. He did such a nice job on the chamfers too.  What size hone should I go with for a 65 mm jug? I'm thinking a 67mm hone with 320 grit outta do it? I'm only trying to alleviate some of the vertical scoring. I can't catch my nail on any of them save one scratch and that's just barely.

I ordered a new set of pistons from economy. I'm hoping to get the crank from Garrett here shortly as well. Baby steps.

m in sc

on the lc, i just did this with a 70mm dingleberry hone I borrowed from frank. like 2 passes each way as stated, looked like new. luckily the aluminum was super minor and just flaked right off.

Striker1423

Ok. I ordered a ball hone and will get it done when it arrives.

EE

Like Teazer says, personal preference keep a fan going, and neutralize with hot water and baking soda after. After quick hone using wd40 use hot water and "laundry soap", then brake cleaner, then wipe the bores with paper towels and marvels mystery oil to get the grit out.

Yamaha 179

Muriatic acid is hazardous stuff and deserves respect.  Bad for your health and bad for your aluminum cylinders.  I don't like using it and have use a strong mixture of lye and water for years but that takes forever to work and remove the aluminum deposits.  I build a small dam of grease between the deposit/score and (say) the exhaust port where the acid may leak in.  The grease will protect the port.  I use long Q tips and have a fan blowing lightly on the area.  It is very important to have a container of baking soda on hand, not in the kitchen, to neutralize any spill.  Remember your high school chemistry.  After cleaning the cylinder wash as recommended and use a cotton ball soaked in baking soda and water mixture to ensure you have neutralized all the acid.  Then hone, oil, etc.
Lyn Garland

Hawaii-Mike

Like Teazer, Ed and Lyn said. It's toxic stuff, best used outdoors and it WILL remove the aluminum from your steel cylinder bore.  Muriatic acid also removes chrome from steel, if you're looking for a way to do that.

Muriatic acid is used for cleaning swimming pools, it's not hard to find at hardware stores etc.

IR8D8R

Sodium hydroxide (lye) will work also and won't stain the cast liner.

It is no less dangerous than HCL though. From a chemistry standpoint it works better than acid.

Pool cleaner isn't all that concentrated but using strong HCL will rust every steel part nearby.

I was just discussing this with someone yesterday.

IR8D8R

teazer

Quote from: IR8D8R on August 23, 2021, 12:36:32 PM
....Pool cleaner isn't all that concentrated but using strong HCL will rust every steel part nearby....

IR8D8R

That is so true.  I had a partly used container of Muriatic Acid (pool cleaner) in a cabinet and the hinges are so rusty they had to be replaced.  That was from a "closed" container breathing a little.  Store it somewhere safe.

Striker1423

Yea I can get it local from just about anywhere, but only in gallon jugs.
I don't need a gallon lol. Too bad you can't really dispose of it safely.